Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Now what?!?!?

Matt in TN

I had been dry-firing every night and working on the basics (draw stroke, slide lock reload, tactical reload, etc.) for several weeks in a row, and shooting live fire on the weekends. I have a basic exercise that documents those skills so I can see how I'm doing over time. For several weeks in a row, no matter how hard I practiced with dry fire I showed no improvement during live fire. In fact, my times got slightly slower.

I got frustrated and took some time off. Last weekend I shot a match and did as good as I ever have. I shot my "basics exercise" this weekend without any practice in between, and my times and scores are better than they've ever been before. Not by a lot, but every single one is slightly faster and more accurate.

I guess I just needed a break - I've read sometimes that happens. The question is - now what? Should I go back to dedicated dry fire practice and try the routine again? Or should I try something completely new?

Change things up a little bit. Same with any other game. Try going to a driving range and only hitting the driver for a month and see how bad your short game suffers.

Keep working on dryfiring but do not ask to see the time in matches to see what you are doing. If you worry what your draws, splits, transitions, and reloads are during a match then you are not focused on what you are actually there to do. Know what they are in practice and just perform in the match.

Brian