Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10mm Mag Sticking

Just purchased the 10 new 10mm Mags for my Hunter. They have the black followers I was advised to get. All will hold the 14 rounds indicated and feed perfectly, but when full are difficult to get in the gun even with the action open. The mags are swelling and sticking on the sides. When I remove a round the mag goes in and drop out perfectly. Not good for rapid mag changes. Love these Tanfoglio pistols but the mags are killing me. The first bunch had to take .010 off the top of the pad to get then to not fall out while firing.

Other than just living with only 13 round mags, any advice?

Respectfully

10mmjunkie

The stock springs are really stiff. In fact I used them with the long extensions for several months without any issues.

They might need to set a little bit before you can get them fully loaded, which is probably causing the bodies to swell. A lot of guys have suggested loading as many as you can in the mag and letting them sit fully loaded for a while (several days) to help set the spring.

Just purchased the 10 new 10mm Mags for my Hunter. They have the black followers I was advised to get. All will hold the 14 rounds indicated and feed perfectly, but when full are difficult to get in the gun even with the action open. The mags are swelling and sticking on the sides. When I remove a round the mag goes in and drop out perfectly. Not good for rapid mag changes. Love these Tanfoglio pistols but the mags are killing me. The first bunch had to take .010 off the top of the pad to get then to not fall out while firing.

Other than just living with only 13 round mags, any advice?

Respectfully

10mmjunkie

My K10's did the same thing at fist, keep in mind 14+1 functional rds. is Max on the stock pads. Henning sells pads that do wonders for round count.

Letting the full 14rds set for awhile does help.

Will only hold 14 and the last round on all of them is tight. Even if the mags were not sticking you would have difficulty getting it to lock in place if the slide was in battery. With all that said, I have had no issues with getting the slide back and it feeding the first round.

Will head to the range tomorrow. Not sure I will see much relief, but one can hope. Need to work the 25 yd line and get some precision back.

Will post how it goes.

10mmjunkie

Sorry for taking so long to report back. Keeping the mags fully loaded did help considerably. 4 of the 7 mags that I originally had problems with are now friction free and two had a little friction. Only one was there no change. Loaded the three back to full capacity and will leave them for a couple weeks. Hope that will be the end of it.

Thanks to all for the assistance.

Respectfully,

10mmjunkie

Shoot the three problem mags this weekend if you can. I think unloading and reloading will help also. Silcone spray--lightly--good cleaning.

Henning Makes a H500-H550 base pad(shortys) that give that 15th or 16th round some wiggly room. Just a little longer than the stock base pad. They don't look stupid if you don't run a magwell on your Hunter.

Has either your guide rod or R. sight screw broken in your hunter yet?

No issues on my hunter. I have both 10mm and 45 top ends. Sights have had no issues as of yet. Currently the frame is wearing a Limited 40 top end. This is the combination I use in Steel Matches. Would like to build one in 357 SIG but everyone tells me I am crazy. Accurate loads with 357 take a quarter of the time it does for 40 or 10mm. In fact I have yet to find a jacketed bullet load that is not 10 ring accurate at 25yds and most were X ring. 40 was a good deal harder.

Have not tried the Henning Pads. May go that route if this is not successful. What I am focusing my attention on the most is not needing to reload at all. Hitting 5 steel targets fast only works when I am hitting. Problem is shooter needing more practice acquiring the trigger precisely not just rapidly (pushing left is driving me nuts).

Thanks for all the assistance.

Very Respectfully,

10mmjunkie

I think you will surprise yourself how accurate the gun is if you put the Stock II 9mm top end, or the Match 9mm top end on the gun. And loading 9mm is easier and cheaper than loading .357, plus you get the capacity advantages of loading 9mm into a magazine with the H-141 base pads. :lol:

No issues on my hunter. I have both 10mm and 45 top ends. Sights have had no issues as of yet. Currently the frame is wearing a Limited 40 top end. This is the combination I use in Steel Matches. Would like to build one in 357 SIG but everyone tells me I am crazy. Accurate loads with 357 take a quarter of the time it does for 40 or 10mm. In fact I have yet to find a jacketed bullet load that is not 10 ring accurate at 25yds and most were X ring. 40 was a good deal harder.

Have not tried the Henning Pads. May go that route if this is not successful. What I am focusing my attention on the most is not needing to reload at all. Hitting 5 steel targets fast only works when I am hitting. Problem is shooter needing more practice acquiring the trigger precisely not just rapidly (pushing left is driving me nuts).

Thanks for all the assistance.

Very Respectfully,

10mmjunkie

I think you will surprise yourself how accurate the gun is if you put the Stock II 9mm top end, or the Match 9mm top end on the gun. And loading 9mm is easier and cheaper than loading .357, plus you get the capacity advantages of loading 9mm into a magazine with the H-141 base pads. :lol:

$50 more and your there. Get the 9mm barrel reamed to 9x23 Winchester. All the advantages that Skydiver brought up BUT Can be loaded to a mid-range that equals all Big three manufactures in ballistics of their 357Sig ammo! Win. factory 9x23 ammo runs a little stronger than the 357 Mag! Because of the cost of 9x23 brass it will run in the <$11/50rd range to reload. VV has page in their reloading guide for the 9x23. Extremely accurate with 123-125gr bullets. Your RM might not like you shooting his Steel Plates with Win. Factory Q4304 JSP 9x23 ammo. 1460fps&587ftlbs.

Hunter 10mm guide rods are really two pieces held together with a junk metal rivit. Very strange to see the front half of the guide rod fly three feet from the gun! Plus there funky looking!