Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Full Barrel Underlug or Standard Question

RobfromME

Good afternoon,

I've got a question for those who have fired both a 625 with the full underlug barrel and the standard style (same barrel length). How significant is the difference in handling and muzzle rise for major loads? Do you feel it's negligible or is it noticeable?

Thanks in advance for your time and interest.

Warmest regards,

Rob

Edited by RobfromME

I have shot 2 625s. One is a Mountain Gun, with a lightweight barrel, and the other has a full lug barrel. Both 4". With equivalent loads, I'd say the difference is quite noticeable. The standard weight short lug barrel would fall between the two. I'm sure with practice it's something you could work with though.

I would say that this would depend upon the shooter. In my 625 4" barrel full underlug I say it is perfect, a standard barrel is a little to light weight. I also have a 5" underlug 625 that I have been using lately in ICORE and I am finding it hard to get used to that weight.

It's just going to boil down to a personal preference.

I had a custom limited gun built on a Caspian hi cap frame awhile back. Several shooters in my area are very very fast. One of them likes the gun in it's quality of build but the all steel frame is too heavy for him. He wouldn't be able to transition as fast as with his STI with it's polymer frame.

I have a K38 without the full underlug and a 6" L frame with it. The K38 is a handier, faster handling gun by a good bit (yes, I know some of the weight savings is due to the lighter K frame but it's not that much). How fast are you at transitioning? That will play a big factor in what works best for you. As for me, I'm so slow that I'll take the recoil reduction of the heavier gun any day, I think the sights moving less save me more time than moving quicker in transitions, especially in a 625. Hopefully this will change and soon. I've had two different 4" 625s w/full underlugs and I sold them both because I just can't shoot them worth a darn. I now have a very nice 5" 625 w/full underlug but I haven't shot it enough to know if I'm any better with it, but the recoil difference doesn't seem to be drastic. That's not a underlug vs. no-underlug comparison, but 1" additional underlugged barrel does put some weight farther out there.

I noticed a significant difference in the time it took to get back on target between my 627PC and 327PC JM. That alloy framed, titanium cylindered 327PC JM comes back on target faster than the 627.