Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ostomy with a Competition Belt

simonapowell

Are there any other shooters here with an ostomy? I'm trying to figure out how to rig a spacer under my competition belt to allow the bag to drain properly with a tight competition belt/holster/mag pouches on.

Anybody?

Bueller...Bueller...Bueller... :huh:

Edited by simonapowell

Depending on the type of ostomy you have obviously... If you have Sigmoid or Descending Colostomy you can try to use irrigation to train your body to irrigate on a set schedule. That might allow for you to wear a stoma cap during matches to avoid the bags entirely.

While I don't have an ostomy myself, I manage the IT department and write our corporate blog articles for our ostomy blog and medical blog. I may be able to help out or at least point you in the right direction. PM me if you want and maybe we can brainstorm together.

Have a blessed day my friend.

- Timothy

Edited by Pensfan

Thanks for the advice, Tim. I don't know anything about irrigation, and it's probably because I have had a complete colectomy. I have an ileostomy. As such, "IT" goes whenever the heck it feels like going (not fun trying to do a bag change, only to have "third shift" show up for work at the playdough fun factory :surprise: )

I'll check out "irrigation", but I'm guessing it's where there is part of the colon left, and as such, is more controllable regarding timing of excretion.

And I will check out your blog articles - maybe some tidbits in there for me too.

I can't be the only competition shooter with an ileostomy... And I figured the best chance to find one is this board. Maybe I need to post this in another section?

Thanks Again Tim,

Simon

Well, I do not have a a colostomy, but I'll give you my best brainstorming since I've worked on a physical rehab unit before...

I wonder if you couldn't just grab a couple wedges and hold them apart to make a path for the bag to sit in, holding the two wedges apart with something (maybe a simple dowel rod. It'll add a few inches to your waistline, obviously, which may necessitate a larger belt... but then the whole enchilada goes under your belt. You may also find it useful to add suspenders to the belt (but you probably already thought of that) so you don't have to have the belt on so tightly. Or just buy a big piece of foam and cut an area out for the ostomy bag?

http://www.rehabmart.com/category/Wedges_and_Rolls.htm

https://www.ostomy.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20872 <--- a solution for in the car seatbelt. I think you need something similar but a bit smaller.

So my "final answer" is to get some memory foam and cut out the area for the bag.

I hope that helps.

You are right about the irrigation really only applying to the Sigmoid or descending. It isn't going to work at all for an ileostomy unfortunately.

I have to second the memory foam idea as well. That really seems like it could be a good custom job for you. This past weekend I saw a guy using a shotgun belt for his rig and he used wooden blocks tucked into the shot shell pouches to be used as spacers to keep the mags away from his body. I bet you could do something similar here as well for leaving a channel for your bag to hang.

Best of luck with your solution!

You are right about the irrigation really only applying to the Sigmoid or descending. It isn't going to work at all for an ileostomy unfortunately.

I have to second the memory foam idea as well. That really seems like it could be a good custom job for you. This past weekend I saw a guy using a shotgun belt for his rig and he used wooden blocks tucked into the shot shell pouches to be used as spacers to keep the mags away from his body. I bet you could do something similar here as well for leaving a channel for your bag to hang.

Best of luck with your solution!

Thanks for the foam idea guys. I brought some home from work today and will start working on a "spacer". Sounds like the best solution so far.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks Again!