Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decapper/Resize vs. Taper Crimp Die

First, I am not after Dillon is better than Lee. I am looking for the right combination of stuff that solves my problems :)

Anyway, I loaded my first batch of ammo in 9mm using the Lee Dies I have (bought around 2005) and about 1 and 3 bullets was failing to seat correctly in Franklin Arsenal Size Check Gauge. After I got the Lee FCP die dialed in a bit better, I was able to FCP the failed ammo now only 1 out of 10 failed. I believe it was failing because of case bulging near the rear and yes, I am using pre-fired random nickle plated range brass bought from Delta Precision. They claim the brass is rolled sized.

Anyway, I apparently solved it by adding more crimp but I am worried the 3.2gr of Titegroup under a 147gr FMJ bullet may result in high pressue despite all the manuals I consulted said to start with 3.2gr of Titegroup.

Any feed back on the issue of getting cases resizing before and after bullet seating followed by worries of pressure appreciated.

Edited by hmp32

1 out of 10 is still too high.

Before you do any adjusting I personally would take the gun apart and test the rounds by dropping them in the barrel. If the drop in and drop out freely then forget about what the case gauge is telling you.

If you get failures there then make sure your sizer is down low enough to be kissing the plate.

Use a good lube to make sure the sizer moves smoothly on the brass. This can help avoid rolling up the brass at the base of the case.

I believe it was failing because of case bulging near the rear and yes, I am using pre-fired random nickle plated range brass bought from Delta Precision.

Pre-fired range brass = was probably fired through a Glock or somesuch loose/incompletely-supported chamber gun.

The regular sizing dies do not size such brass down far enough to get rid of the bulge ahead of the extractor groove.

I roll-size the 9mm brass using a CasePro, but there are less-expensive alternatives from Lee, Redding and EGW.

The roll crimp and de-cap the brass.

Please elaborate.

Sarge is spot on with his points.

use your barrel adpnd check again.

Were they failing due to them not being seated fully due to bulge or too little removal of the case flare? 9mm headspaces on the case mouth so I would be extra careful to not put a heavy crimp on the bullet and end up with a case that can be slammed past the chamber. You need to remove all of the flare and check the ammo again. 9mm is NOTknown for bulging cases, the 40 is. I have a feeling you just weren't removing the flare enough.

Edited by Wptemple

I believe it was failing because of case bulging near the rear and yes, I am using pre-fired random nickle plated range brass bought from Delta Precision.

Pre-fired range brass = was probably fired through a Glock or somesuch loose/incompletely-supported chamber gun.

The regular sizing dies do not size such brass down far enough to get rid of the bulge ahead of the extractor groove.

I roll-size the 9mm brass using a CasePro, but there are less-expensive alternatives from Lee, Redding and EGW.

Precision Delta does roll-size their brass (or claims to). I corrected my text to reflect the correct terminology. Thanks.

Anyway, after some further studying I realized my target OAL was from 1.125 - 1.132. I need to fiddle with PTX setting some more I suspect. Not all bullets were setting the same depth in the case.

Edited by hmp32