Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P-16 FTF

roklock

Hello,

OK, I have tried several searches but I can't find the exact same issues...

P-16, (old model, no pwr extractor), original barrel.

Bayou bullet - 180br TC .401, OAL = 1.175, crimp is .421

FTF is happening at least once every 15-20 rounds

I have chamber checked all of my rounds. I have even saved the FTF and then put them all in a mag by themselves and run them through the gun.

Any other thoughts for me to check?

Thanks,

Steve

I have 2 P-16's and both had "short" chambers but different feed ramps. Both ran WWB 100%. Had them both "throated" by Shay at AKAI and both now feed and run anything I feed them up 1.200 oal. You might try polishing feed ramp and make sure it isn't just mag feed lips. I've had both troubles in the past w/ other guns. I feel your pain. :eatdrink:

Try loading a batch out to 1.2! My P16 didn't become 100% until I did.

FWIW

Richard

I tried longer (1.185) but then they don't drop free from the barrel. I have to give it a shake for them to drop.

I have 2 P-16's and both had "short" chambers but different feed ramps. You might try polishing feed ramp and make sure it isn't just mag feed lips.

How can I check my chamber depth? when you set your feed lips what did you set them to and is the measurement the inside dimension or outside dimension?

Thanks,

Steve

I just measured 3 brand new, unassembled Para mag bodies and got .364/.365 at the rear and .359/.360 at the front. As for chamber depth, if your 1.185 rounds are sticking in the chamber and not seated flush then they are engaging the rifleing and are too long. Put some id mark on each mag and run the snot out of them. Betcha' find 1 or more mags with the problem. I'd still polish the feed ramp. Dremel tool w/ a felt tip and some jeweler's rouge will make it shine like a mirror. Oh! and a couple of last thoughts ... take a peek at the extractor for dirt or too tight or damaged. Had a fail to extract issue w/ my main P-16 and had an AFTEC extractor installed. No more issue. A burr or damaged bolt face can also cause fail to feed as the case rim won't slip under the hook and let the round align w/ the chamber. Good luck.

Fergot to mention the feed lips are measured at the ID.

Edited by buckaroo45

I just measured 3 brand new, unassembled Para mag bodies and got .364/.365 at the rear and .359/.360 at the front. I'd still polish the feed ramp. Oh! and a couple of last thoughts ... take a peek at the extractor for dirt or too tight or damaged. Had a fail to extract issue w/ my main P-16 and had an AFTEC extractor installed.

Fergot to mention the feed lips are measured at the ID.

Thanks buckaroo,

I did find one that had the feed lips out to .390. While doing all this I stripped them and put new springs in all of them as well. I too have an AFTEC extractor but still checked the tunnel and it looked OK. Ramped is already polished.

Took it out today and 300 rounds later not one FTF, life is good :cheers:

Edited by roklock