Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How do you disassemble a single-stack mag?

Garrett

Forgive me if this is an obvious question and I'm just missing it, but how do you take the spring & follower out of a single-stack 1911 mag? The base plate appears to be welded in place, and I can't work the follower out the top of the mag without fear of bending it. Maybe people don't routinely disassemble these for cleaning?

I ask because I'm cutting a notch in the rear of a handful of 9mm mags to adapt them to a different gun. For the time being, I was able to trap the spring / follower slightly below the notch. However, I am still hitting the follower with the file, and it would be much easier if I could remove the follower.

Any suggestions?

2012-03-11_13-00-04_877.jpg2012-03-11_13-20-33_268.jpg

You have the basic idea. I usually load a few rounds in the mag and then trap the spring below the follower. Remove the rounds and the follower should shake down to the feed lip area where you can grab it and take it out. Then, aiming things away from your eyes (i aim at a wadded up rag) carefully pull out the pin trapping the spring and remove it. Getting it back together is a bit more tricky. You have to find some way to push the spring down far enough to trap it and insert the follower and again, carefully remove the pin trapping the spring. Wear safety glasses and point the spring away from your eyes!

Hope this helps,

Richard