Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet Feeder Expander Die and NOT PTX?

Is there any reason why not using the expander die instead of the ptx?

While I never had any issues befor the ptx with the retaining ring I am chewing through lots of since I started using the ptx. I guess I loaded at least 50.000 rounds with one ring and after moving to the ptx I need one every 3000 to 5000 rounds.

Currently my press is stopped as I used my last ring cannot get a hold of Hornady for more than a week now and the replacment ring ordered via a shop has a lead time of 4 weeks.

I would much rather use the normal expander die for flaring the case mouth than the ptx for using the bullet feeder. I dont mind that I need one more station as I have no need for an additional one anyway.

The only reason is a lack of stations. Even with the PTX many people have to compromise with a bullet feeder, since they have to choose between a powder check die or a separate crimp die. I'm guessing that you want to do the following?

1. Resize/Deprime

2. Expand

3. Powder Drop

4. Bullet Feed

5. Seat/Crimp

I don't see why that wouldn't work except for the typical reason, which is that most people don't have much success seating and crimping at the same time.

I assuming the ring to which you're referring is the spring that goes around the shellplate and holds in the brass? Why does using the PTX have any effect on that? I've found the PTX to be somewhat finicky to set up but I haven't seen a negative effect on the lifetime of the retaining spring since I started using it.

One thing I've found that helps the PTX immensely is to polish the area of the PTX expander that contacts the brass. I started with 500 grit sandpaper and then moved to Nevr-Dull and finished with Flitz on a rag. Before I did this the PTX expander would "hang onto" the brass as the ram was on its way down, requiring a lot of force to separate the two. After polishing the two separate cleanly with the same pressure I used before switching to the PTX.

The only reason is a lack of stations. Even with the PTX many people have to compromise with a bullet feeder, since they have to choose between a powder check die or a separate crimp die. I'm guessing that you want to do the following?

1. Resize/Deprime

2. Expand

3. Powder Drop

4. Bullet Feed

5. Seat/Crimp

I don't see why that wouldn't work except for the typical reason, which is that most people don't have much success seating and crimping at the same time.

I assuming the ring to which you're referring is the spring that goes around the shellplate and holds in the brass? Why does using the PTX have any effect on that? I've found the PTX to be somewhat finicky to set up but I haven't seen a negative effect on the lifetime of the retaining spring since I started using it.

One thing I've found that helps the PTX immensely is to polish the area of the PTX expander that contacts the brass. I started with 500 grit sandpaper and then moved to Nevr-Dull and finished with Flitz on a rag. Before I did this the PTX expander would "hang onto" the brass as the ram was on its way down, requiring a lot of force to separate the two. After polishing the two separate cleanly with the same pressure I used before switching to the PTX.

I mean the retaining ring that is inside the powder die preventing the insert from falling down.

Yes thats my problem the hang onto the brass and I need quite some force for seperation. Sooner or later the ring breaks.

I got one of the first bullet feeders off the line. I never used the PTX die before getting the bullet feeder. I've done about 10k of 9 major with the bullet feeder and the ptx but no issues with the ring in the powder measure.

The PTX I am using came with the bullet feeder die, I also had prior verions of the PTX that I had chosen not to use. The reason I did this was when I tried them it ruined a lot of 38SC brass. I later figured out the press was not indexed properly.

So given this is the first case I have heard of this, there is a reason this is happening. Figuring it out is what is needed. That little spring ring I could see it coming out but the tensil strength would make it a bit hard to break.

What Caliber are you loading?

What brand or type of Sizing Die are you using? I it a u-die?

What is the size of the case mouth after Expanding?

The only draw back to no using the PTX is that you will need to Crimp and seat the bullet in the last station. While I have seen this done with success it will take some fine adjustment, to get it right.

Do you have the little turnbuckle that goes on the side of the powder measure when you use the PTX? It's semi new and it is supposed to take some of the force that's placed on the powder measure when you use the PTX.

if you mean the thing you use to fine tune the expanding size then yes

I got one of the first bullet feeders off the line. I never used the PTX die before getting the bullet feeder. I've done about 10k of 9 major with the bullet feeder and the ptx but no issues with the ring in the powder measure.

The PTX I am using came with the bullet feeder die, I also had prior verions of the PTX that I had chosen not to use. The reason I did this was when I tried them it ruined a lot of 38SC brass. I later figured out the press was not indexed properly.

So given this is the first case I have heard of this, there is a reason this is happening. Figuring it out is what is needed. That little spring ring I could see it coming out but the tensil strength would make it a bit hard to break.

What Caliber are you loading?

What brand or type of Sizing Die are you using? I it a u-die?

What is the size of the case mouth after Expanding?

The only draw back to no using the PTX is that you will need to Crimp and seat the bullet in the last station. While I have seen this done with success it will take some fine adjustment, to get it right.

I am not sure but it seems that the expanding die uses a different typ of expanding stem than the ptx. at least i can never get it right with the expanding die. the bullets always tumble over after the bullet feeder die. with the ptx it was working most of the time.

I am loading 9mm using hornady dies

I am loading 356 and if I recall right it worked best when going to 358 but only with the ptx if I have 358 with the expanding die it does not work. It looks like the expanding die is not going so deep like the ptx

the little ring is coming out a lot. I put it in again it comes out and so forth. some sooner or later got a bend the last one broke

It could be that the groove that the ring sits in is not cut right or it is gooped up with powder or lubricant. My standard procedure on the drop tube assembly is to clean it periodically with Brake cleaner and never ever put any type of lubricant in it.