Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Flat Primers?

Ofishl1

however I do not really see any overpressure signs, although 6.8 of VV340 is prob only running 150-155, too windy to chrono today, so went indoors,...I did buy some WIN SRPrimers I have yet to try on the VV340, but they all fired off fine with the WIN and CCI spp.noflattys.jpg

You'll find that what one considers 'overpressure' is often very different than what another shooter might think. If my primers look like that, I would switch to a slower, 'safer' powder. I've seen several people using N340 (even in 9 major) and it is just too fast, IMHO.

Looks like you'll have flatter primers should you use this powder to make major. 3N38 and N105 has worked well for me but the cost of VV powders were just too much for me. Using IMR 7625 and small rifle primers.

I like the way you set up the brass :)

I thought it was "happy" brass, but I see a couple of primers that have a little flattness to them,,:wacko:

So if I bump up to 8.3 or so to get to 168 and switch to Small Rifle primers the gun may run flatter and require less powder? Or does the hotter primer have nothing to do with more gas?

I've always noticed that going from an SPP to SRP got me an extra ~2 PF. The rifle primer is going to give you a more complete burn so you will have more gas.

Just guesstimating but 8.3 with an SRP is probably going to get you closer to 170. I would load some up with 8.2, 8.4, and 8.6 grains. See which one feels best for you.

So if I bump up to 8.3 or so to get to 168 and switch to Small Rifle primers the gun may run flatter and require less powder? Or does the hotter primer have nothing to do with more gas?

I've always noticed that going from an SPP to SRP got me an extra ~2 PF. The rifle primer is going to give you a more complete burn so you will have more gas.

Just guesstimating but 8.3 with an SRP is probably going to get you closer to 170. I would load some up with 8.2, 8.4, and 8.6 grains. See which one feels best for you.

Great idea al, I bet small increments will make a big difference with the SRP,...I already loaded 3n37 at 8.0 with Fed Match SPP for tonights match, but I think I will load up a couple mags at 8.4 with SRP and see how it feels.

Thanks for the advice,...O1

hey O how does that gun shoot? I bet its pretty sweet yeah? TO me your primers look ok. just watch for the edges make sure they stay nice and round. I have found that srp also give me a little boost in PF as well.

hey O how does that gun shoot? I bet its pretty sweet yeah? TO me your primers look ok. just watch for the edges make sure they stay nice and round. I have found that srp also give me a little boost in PF as well.

Hey Mat,

I have been fooling around with powders so much and finally settled down to just shoot the gun and get used to it, I shot my first match with it as a 2nd gun Sunday and did OK, however lost the dot several times on large 32 rounds run n gun stages, I kicked my own azz with my STI Edge .40 in limited in the first run. I have been messing with too many powders and not realizing I am looking for minimal dot movement up-down-side to side in a powder, so for now I am loading up 3N37 at 8.2 with SRP's and last nights local match I was much improved, and came in 9th overall of 44 entrys and the only guys above me were Masters (and below me ;)), ....so I dont know if I could have done better with my limited gun, but damn can sure run the Open gun FaAAAsst, and this one flat out runs, it has not even burped on anything I fed it so far. However, I still need to work on dry firing with the Dot and find the right load to get the comp working the best. Right now it is looking pretty good, I hate to say it Mat but for my first Open gun,...yes it is sweet and she's a keeper...!