Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to 2011s, having some mag issues

tbarker13

I recently picked up my first 2011 - STI Edge frame, but custom built. It came with six mags.

The gun has been exceptional so far. But I noticed that occasionally, the last round in a couple of the mags wouldn't feed. (The slide would pass over the round as though it wasn't there)

Having no idea when the springs were last replaced, I decided to get new springs. I ordered the 126mm-140mm versions from Dawson.

But when I installed the new springs, they push the followers too high in the case. A couple of them actually push the follower almost halfway out of the mag. You have to work them back into the magazine before you can load it.

Not sure what brand the followers are, but the base pads are Arredondo. The followers and base pads are both red, so I'm assuming they were purchased together are likely both Arredondo.

My first thought was the magazine feed lips might be too wide, but according to the info in the Dawson mag tuning kit, they are actually a bit too narrow.

Springs often need to be tuned. The almighty Bolens springs always have to be tuned. Simply bend the top coil so that the follower sits properly. You won't hurt anything.

I'll give that a shot tonight and see what happens.

I think I'll end up going that route. I've messed with the springs, but just can't get all of the followers where I want them to be.

Shot in a club match today - ended up having several mag-related feeding problems.

Just ordered a few grams followers to see if that clears things up.

I would recommend getting the springs and followers as a set and changing them both out at the same time. Plus the Grams followers are proprietary to the gram springs. I'm sure someone could make them work with another spring, but you would have to modify the spring first. Not really worth it, plus just might end up causing more problems.