Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag pouch for Caspian mags.

JRBean

What mag pouches other than the Safariland 771 work best with the old style Caspian mags?

I like the CR Speed mag pouches.

I have the cr speeds and they work great with the new caspian mags for my 40 but my old style 38 mags seem to be longer front to back than the new style and don't fit smooth in the cr speeds.

Just as an FYI - I was curious so I measured some Caspian .38 Super mags (measured about 1/4 inch below mag release cut out)

Measure on one example of each:

1st gen (blued with weld down back)- 1.400 long x 0.815 wide

2nd gen (plated with no visible weld down back)- 1.396 long x 0.822 wide

Latest gen with the sweet cape type base pads - 1.354 long x 0.838

Two things to note: First, the old style mag bodies start the taper at about 1.1" from the top of the feed lips on the back side, the latest gen starts the taper about 1.6" down so there is less "flat" area to work with. Second, the front wall of the tube on the new mags have a slight taper on the top, the old style do not (front wall of tube forms is a rectangle).

I have old Safariland mag holders and they hold both pretty well, but with the new ones I need to give them a little extra push to make sure they are fully inserted.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this thread the DAA Universal Competition mag pouch works great with the original Caspian mags. A huge thank you to the folks at Competitive Edge Dynamics for helping me in my search.

Just to update this thread the DAA Universal Competition mag pouch works great with the original Caspian mags. A huge thank you to the folks at Competitive Edge Dynamics for helping me in my search.

That's good to know, thanks. I run Safariland's, but haven't been 100% happy with them.