Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bulge/Ring above case head on 6.5 Grendel

badgerlb

Need some help advice on this one. This brass is on its 4th reload, it's PPU. The ring reminds me of a bulge from a glock. The brass is springy when resized at the bottom of the throw. I don't feel a difference on the inside of the case that would be indicative of a case head seperation, but I've had a few pieces of brass that wouldn't chamber, and they had this ring on them. The dies are clean and have fewer than 100 reloads on them, and these marks are not left on my Hornady brass.

I can't make this hot because I don't have enough posts, but if someone could I'd greatly appreciate it.

i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv151/oaretc/IMG_1309.jpg

What brand barrel do you have?

Alexander Arms barrel and bolt... less than a thousand rounds through it... I'm betting this brass is telling me that the head is about to seperate... I'm just looking for someone to tell me its not... and so far no one is :)

I have a barrel that does exactly the same thing with Lapua brass. But just like yours, Hornady brass works perfectly. I have some Hornady brass that has 12 reloadings on it and it still looks just fine. Lapua brass with the same load only goes 1 or 2 loads before it looks just like your pictures.

Originally I had thought my bolt was unlocking to early leading to the head expansion but got the same results shooting with the gas totally turned off. I think the problem is the way your chamber is cut along with your problematic brass having thicker necks than the Hornady brass. I quit beating my head against the wall and use Hornady brass exclusively now and have no problems.

What load are you shooting?

I have a barrel that does exactly the same thing with Lapua brass. But just like yours, Hornady brass works perfectly. I have some Hornady brass that has 12 reloadings on it and it still looks just fine. Lapua brass with the same load only goes 1 or 2 loads before it looks just like your pictures.

Originally I had thought my bolt was unlocking to early leading to the head expansion but got the same results shooting with the gas totally turned off. I think the problem is the way your chamber is cut along with your problematic brass having thicker necks than the Hornady brass. I quit beating my head against the wall and use Hornady brass exclusively now and have no problems.

What load are you shooting?

28ish grains of pull down 335 with a 123 gr. amax... the weird thing is, I have some that wouldn't chamber... looks like the ring is whats keeping the bolt from going into battery... What you're saying gives me some solace though...