Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 acp question

thebigdogg316

I'm thinking that when I used 231, behind a 230 grain, I only used 5.1 grains, to make 170pf. :surprise:

If you go to a lighter bullet, you will need MORE powder to achieve the same pf. The lighter bullets will give you a snappier recoil than the 230s.

I shoot a 230 gr round nose bullet over 5.5 grains of w231. Would make a difference in recoil if I used a 185 gr jhp or a 200 gr jhp? Obviously it would mean less powder and the oal would be different. I would also want to still make major.

If you kept the same powder charge, the lighter bullet = less recoil. But the lighter bullet might not make PF, so you'd have to add powder and that would increase recoil.

So far as I can tell, the muzzle energy correlates with recoil, and heavy bullets that make PF have lower muzzle energy and less recoil. I don't see a huge difference between 200 gr and 230 gr at the same PF, but a 200 gr load does have more recoil at the same PF. A 200 gr at 850 fps = 170 PF & 321 ft/lbs, and a 230 at 740 fps = 170 PF & 280ft/lbs. I can't tell any difference until the muzzle energy difference is around 30 ft/lbs and up.

Yeah I use Clays for my 200grSemiwadcutter and the powder is 4.1gr to 4.3gr if I remember correctly.

I should try the heavier bullets and see what difference it makes but I have to get rid of the 2500 precision bullets 200 grSWC bullets first!