Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2nd Match woes

LauWau

Earlier this week I shot my second USPSA match. My accuracy deteriorated drastically from first match to second match. I shot 93% of the points in my first match (although I was slow as molasses) and then shot 71% of the points in my second match (slow but a little faster). I did not feel focused in my second match but could not put my finger on any particular problem. I went to the range today to practice and found that I have picked up the bad habit of looking at the target instead of the sights. It seemed to be happening not on the first target but on a second target I transitioned to and subsequent targets. I spent quite a bit of time focusing on the sights and defintely improved. I believe this may be the result of an effort on my part to increase the speed of my shooting. Anyone else experience this? Any suggestions on drills to work on?

Edited by LauWau

Seems you may have answered your own question. First match you had no idea what to expect so you took your time, took dead aim, and shot well.

Second match you realized you were shooting slow so in what is really a game of speed as well as accuracy and you decided to shoot faster.

You have to learn patience and understand that it takes time for speed to start catching up to your accuracy.

One match is not long enough.

It seems most brand new shooters shoot slow and are generally happy to see all their hits right in the center of the A Zone. Then the next guy does the same thing in a fourth of the time and the new guy goes Huh, I need to speed up!

Dry fire.

Dry fire some more.

After you're tired of dry firing . . . dry fire some more.

Practice transitions.

Make sure your transitions include not only the gun transitioning to the next target, but your focus transitioning to the front sight. It's natural to focus downrange, you have to change that reflex.

Oh, and when you practice transitions . . . dry fire.

Practice draws as you . . . dry fire.