Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Light weight and low mass bolt carriers

thrlskr

This is my first post, but I've read literally 100s if not thousands of post here. That for the education! As such, I think I know the answer to my question, but I want to know for sure.

Can I use a light weight bolt carrier with standard (non-adjustable) mid-length gas system? I don't get to shoot often, so I'd hate to waste a day --likely months from now-- finding out that the components I assembled don't work well together.

Yes you can, but you should use an adjustable gas system as well to get the full benefit...

Mick

This is my first post, but I've read literally 100s if not thousands of post here. That for the education! As such, I think I know the answer to my question, but I want to know for sure.

Can I use a light weight bolt carrier with standard (non-adjustable) mid-length gas system? I don't get to shoot often, so I'd hate to waste a day --likely months from now-- finding out that the components I assembled don't work well together.

it's not very difficult to swap out a non-adjustable gas block for an adjustable one (JP makes a highly regarded product, $65 or so from brownells, i've used the PRI low profile adjustable block and it's worked very well for me). if you don't get to shoot very often, then you may want to forgo a DIY approach and just get a JP upper if you can afford one. you can spend an unbelievable amount of time tinkering with things to get them right, and if you have very little range time for function testing than you may find that approach a frustrating exercise...