Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62x39 Major

boblindeman

Hi.

I have looked for an answer to my question but cant find it, so I ask here.

Have anyone loaded the original bulletweight 123 grain to a major load, at about 2700fps. I am using a SA VZ-58 and it is also made for .223 so it will withstand the pressure from 223 loads.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

No, but I have QuickLoad and can run some trials for you. Do you have a specific bullet (brand and type) in mind; along with a powder?

It might be interesting to see what it spits out.

Wow - I looked at a few loads on Ammo Guide and ran them in Quick Load. I don't see that you can get to 2700 with out completely blowing max pressures.

Here are a couple of 123 grain loads. Anything above these exceeded max pressure in Quick Load.

Powder Load Muzzle Vel

AA-1680 25.7 Max load 2412

Viht N-120 26.5 Max load 2430

Viht N-130 26.5 2403 (Quickload says 2200 fps with this load; also showed 29.5 max, Muzzle vel was only 2440)

From my experience, I went with heavier slower bullets to make major. I don't think you can get there with a 123 grain.

Edited by Cotys

Hi

Thanks for quick reply.

When u say max pressure how high is that according to the pressure in a .223 because the rifle is capable of the pressure from a .223 which according to the manyfacturer is about 20% higher than pressure of the 7.62x39.

I havent thought of any particurlary bullets yet, but I know from Sako92,s posts that its possible to reach major with 147gr bullets.

I am in the decision of which caliber I will buy and use for IPSC here in Sweden and I dont know if I will have the easier to shoot .223 or the possibility to shoot major, which here is pf320.

Regards.

Robert

I have PM'ed several of our European IPSC rifle counterparts before, and they said they got to the 320 PF cutoff for major with heavier 150/154 grains bullets in the 7.62X39Russian.

I'l have to go back and read where our OP is from. I get the feeling that the Europeans are not as adverse to putting carboard targets out at 100, 200, 300, 400, plus yards, the cardboard being able to differentiate from an A, B, C, or D hit where major might make a difference. On the other hand, us Americans like putting steel targets out past 100 yards where the results are just strictly binary, a hit, or a miss where it all takes is minor to get a hit.

Soooooo, long story short, at least I am, and maybe a bunch of other Americans here are of the mindset that for a match here on American soil, shooting major is not worth it.

Zak Smith wrote an article about the 7.62X39 here:

http://demigodllc.com/articles/7.62x39-improving-the-military-standard/?p=1

If you read between the lines, it almost makes it sound like SAAMI has dumbed down the pressure limits because of crappy worn out AK's built back in 1947 might not be able to handle the higher pressure.

Hi

Thanks for quick reply.

When u say max pressure how high is that according to the pressure in a .223 because the rifle is capable of the pressure from a .223 which according to the manyfacturer is about 20% higher than pressure of the 7.62x39.

I havent thought of any particurlary bullets yet, but I know from Sako92,s posts that its possible to reach major with 147gr bullets.

I am in the decision of which caliber I will buy and use for IPSC here in Sweden and I dont know if I will have the easier to shoot .223 or the possibility to shoot major, which here is pf320.

Regards.

Robert

This may be redundant from the link above. I'm at work and they blocked the link in the previous post.

The 223 & .556 pressures are higher than 7.62x39. SAAMI has rated the 223 down to 55000, standard 223 Rem and 5.56 are rated to 62366.

Here's what QuickLoad shows for pressures

62366 PSI .223 & 5.56 NATO

55000 PSI SAAMI

51488 PSI 7.62x39

ASSUMING your 7.62 can take 223 pressures, I still couldn't get a major PF out of 123 grain. It looks like most commercial 154s will make major. Note these are both well above normal 7.26x39 pressures.

Viht N130 - 31.0 gr - 2574 fps - 60943 PSI - 317 PF

Viht N120 - 29.0 gr - 2589 fps - 61201 PSI - 318 PF

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, don't think so. I load 7.62x39 with both 123 and 147 bullets. Remember the max loads you see in the manuals are for bolt-action rifles, the max will batter a semi auto somewhat. I shoot an AR15 and AK in 7.62. I use AA1680 and call it a day.