Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are there any good competitors who use an AK type?

Correia

• 1 year later...
Larry,

Congrats on shooting well Saturday but don't forget that there wasn't a single mag change in the whole match. That seems to be where a ton of time can be lost with the AK type rifles. Also remember there was only 24 total hits needed beyond 25 yds which significantly narrows the margin you get with an optic over irons.

Take care, Craig

The mag change can be an issue, but I've found that if you reach for a fresh magazine, grip it with the support hand (left hand) about 2 or 3 inches from the feed box, and with the magazine pointing bullets up and towards the muzzle, run it along under the trigger guard, across the magazine release, and then in contact with the spent magazine, continue forward with the fresh mag in contact with the spent mag, you can get the old mag out lickety split. Then slide the index finger up to the feed box with the index finger sort of bent around the front of the magazine at the last knuckle, and insert in the mag well, rock into place. In a fluid continuing motion, run left hand hand under the receiver, grip the charging handle from underneath with the index finger of the support hand, actuate the action. Voila. Back in the action pretty quick.

Nationally, not at the current time. In Eastern Kentucky, Hunter Booth shoots a pretty mean AK and can give the local Masters and Grandmasters a run for the money. If you have limited time and $, it is easier and cheaper to get an AK that is reliable enough to be competitive. The ARs have quicker reloads and better long-range accuracy but require better quality ammo and more TLC including cleaning.

I was at the range a few months ago and a fellow was there with a Vepr in 7.62x39 and I had my Saiga x39 and we traded for a bit, the Vepr is much heaver, and shot very well out to 200 yards, we were shooting steel plates so I don't know how it grouped but but it hit every time, so to did my Saiga, both weapons had Russian optics on them mine had a PK-01 red dot and the Vepr had a Cobra.

I plan to use my x39 in an upcoming 3 gun match where I will be shooting no more than 100 yards. In November I used my AR with open sights and had a great time on the 100 yard stage.

Does anyone use the KNS Cross hair front sight on your AR? That thing is like having an optic with out having an optic.

As you can see from my picture, that is me holding my Saiga .223 which shoots suprisingly well. My son used it and more than held his own with the AR shooters.

Edited by Topmaul