Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightning strike video

This is a pretty cool short video of a commercial getting struck by lightning. Not sure if the link will work thou...

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q149/meowbark_2006/?action=view&current=Lightening_Strike_-_Ground_Ops.mp4

Check it out and let me know if it opens...

The link works. However, I had to watch it a second time before I saw the strike. Quick and short!

Cool. Here is some info from the vid...

Watch this multiple times

Watch closely at the tail of the plane for the lightning strike.

Then replay it and watch the front landing gear.

You'll need to watch it a few times; it ís only about 11 seconds.

Three key things/areas to watch.

First, watch the tail of the aircraft as the bolt hits the vertical stab.

Then, look just to your left of the nose gear.

That brown square on the ground is a metal plate embedded in the concrete with a small manhole cover.

The strike exits onto the metal plate and sends the manhole cover flying through the air toward the tug on the far left.

This may be why staff don't work during thunderstorms!

This made the rounds last summer. Found it in my email recently. One of the guys I work with worked at the airline at that time. The only damage to the aircraft was the entry hole on the vertical and the exit hole on the forward nose area. Lightning strikes are very common. This is a cool visual of the effects and proof that through great design it's a very safe condition...

Cool. If you watch for the manhole cover, you can see it arc from its place on the ground by the nosewheel ,to a point probably higher than the tail of the aircraft, before it drops to the ground near the tractor. It's about 2.5-3 seconds between the cover being launched and its impact on the tarmac.

Saw the same thing happen to a utility box cover from a lightning strike. Probably about 100 pounds of sheet metal launched about 40 feet straight up.