Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Torquing Left and Up

Old&Slow

My Summer project is to learn to shoot my G 19 reasonably well.

It`s had trigger work and is a smooth 3 1/2# break.

However at 25 feet my shots are usually going 2-3" left. Not low & left, just left.

During recoil I can see the front sight torquing left and up like the left side of a O.

This is with 115 Gr. FMJ and is even more pronounced with +P`s.

Several NRA and IDPA Instructor/Shooters have tried shooting it and it`s not the Gun..must be me :wacko:

I realize the bullet is on the way before this happens, but I never noticed my 1911 do this, the sights go straight up, and I can make a 4" ragged hole of the black with those guns at 25 feet.

I`ve tried a really tight hold, firm hold, lose hold, different finger placement on the trigger, various combinations, dry firing, etc.....still left 2-3".

I realize without seeing me shoot it`s tough to help, but the torque thing seems odd and I`m at a loss and really getting down on the the whole deal.

Any insights appreciated.

You need to add some additional information. Are you using a 1 or 2 hand hold? Are you shooting right or left handed? Do you have exceptionally large or exceptionally small hands? What thumb placement are you using?

You need to add some additional information. Are you using a 1 or 2 hand hold? Are you shooting right or left handed? Do you have exceptionally large or exceptionally small hands? What thumb placement are you using?

2 Hand isociles.

Right hand shooter.

Medium size hands.

Left thumb on frame in front of the slide lock.

Right thumb on top of left thumb and contacting top of grip.

O&S,

Try shooting slowly (.5 splits) and look at the results. Pay attention to your grip, and trigger control and make yourself correct the torque. You'll figure it out through shooting. Then practice with dry fire.

After you figure it out, speed it up. Work up to shooting Bill Drills @ 7 yards.

After shooting a 1911, you may think of the trigger pull as an "instant" event. It may help to think about the Glock trigger as a "process" or "loop" - similar to a revolver pull.

Good luck.

When trying to shoot precisely, minute pressures on the firearm can drastically change your point of impact. I would look at two areas. Thumb pressure and trigger finger pressure on (both on the trigger and on the side of the frame). NIK makes a good point about the thumbs. I would also look at the trigger pressure. I have a tough time with the trigger on the Glock because of the safety mechanism on the trigger. It creates a smaller bearing surface for me, and makes trigger control more difficult. I would practice dryfiring, using the pad of the finger on the bottom portion of the trigger. Remember, the trigger is a lever. Imagine that the trigger is a glass rod. Continue putting pressure on that rod until it snaps. Repeat this until you feel comfortabel that the trigger is coming straight back each time with no side pressure being exerted.

I believe your problem is mostly trigger control. I have to re-educate myself everytime I shoot my Glock 19 after not shooting it for awhile. The first clip of rounds are almost all off the target. Dry fire it awhile until you get the right feel

of the trigger and do that every time you go to the range right before shooting with it. <_<