Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel has loosened up inside barrel extension

jaredr

taking off a suppressor from an AR and discovered that the barrel had loosened up in the barrel extension. felt some give when unscrewing the suppressor, took the bolt carrier out and inspected the chamber while attempting to unscrew the suppressor, I could watch the barrel move inside the stationary barrel extension :angry:

I'll have to disassemble everything the get the barrel out, what's the best way to re-attach the barrel extension - just red locktite or is there some other standard approach?

The extension is torqued onto the barrel to the degree of 125 pounds. Then the head space is set and the gas port drilled. In short you are not likely to be able to retorque the extension and have head space/locator pin/gas port line up. There have been people who installed the extension in the correct orientation and set it in place with rocksett and a longer locator pin.

If the barrel is actually unscrewing from the extension you are likely better off financially to just get a new barrel.

bummer. stripped it apart and the barrel unscrews from the extension easily - the locater pin does not extend into the barrel. Screwed it back on with plenty of red locktite, torqued it down to whatever I could get, and reinstalled the gas block which appears to line up ok. Will see how it headspaces in the morning. I'll order a replacement barrel but this is in 300 blackout and I need a pistol length gas system so selection and availability is limited. this is a hobby gun so worst that happens is it loosens up again and I just have to put it aside for a while until new barrel shows up.

bummer. stripped it apart and the barrel unscrews from the extension easily - the locater pin does not extend into the barrel. Screwed it back on with plenty of red locktite, torqued it down to whatever I could get, and reinstalled the gas block which appears to line up ok. Will see how it headspaces in the morning. I'll order a replacement barrel but this is in 300 blackout and I need a pistol length gas system so selection and availability is limited. this is a hobby gun so worst that happens is it loosens up again and I just have to put it aside for a while until new barrel shows up.

Call the manufacturer and see if they will replace it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

Call the manufacturer and see if they will replace it.
long story short, that is unfortunately not an option for this barrel as the vendor is is more or less out of the business for the time being with medical disabilities. ah well, it is what it is. do have one question regarding barrel construction - are barrel extensions typically pinned to the barrel with the locator pin once headspace is set? I've never seen one come loose but have also never installed one myself?