Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sight alignment

JD45

This test is mainly for beginners. It really reveals the truth behind The Great One telling us how troublesome a "pull" really is. Until I did this, I couldn't make myself believe that I was "pulling" that badly. What you do is fire about ten shots at 10yds., slow fire ( use a bench rest if you want). First, align the sights perfectly in the center of the "A" zone and fire one shot. Then, bury the front sight nearly in the bottom of the notch and fire another. Continue with the front sight almost all the way to the left, then right. You should be surprised at how your shots look on the target. You can try different distances and increment of sight alignment and even learn more. This was a huge eye-opener for me. I learned that I was pulling like crazy up close and had to deal with it. A little bad sight alignment is no big deal under 10yds. on cardboard. A little pull is a nasty problem.

And when you start shooting guns with a red dot sighter, you get a REALLY good view of how and when you pull a shot. The advantage is you can start swearing earlier and not have to wait until you bring the target in for scoring.

###&&&&&%%%%@@@@@@@@!!!!!!

If you see the dot jump when you pull, that bulet just went into another zip code.

Continue with the front sight almost all the way to the left, then right./////A little bad sight alignment is no big deal under 10yds. A little pull is a nasty problem.

I noticed that the sight "misalignment" at fire is almost always over estimated by the eye as to how far off the shot is from center X. Try firing five and make a mental snapshot of each sight picture at fire and note where you expect each shot's hole will be. Then see where the holes are. I almost always see more of an error from the sights than actually is there.

If I am understanding you correctly, I think you are talking about the alignment in relation to the center of the target. If so, I know what you mean because I see the same results. If I align the front and rear sight perfect, it seems like I can move around on the target quite a bit and the shots don't stray far at all.