Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classifier by division

buckaroo45

I'm perplexed by a club member that wanted to know which classifier stages we will shoot at an upcoming classifier match so he could decide which gun to bring. I'm having difficulty understanding why particular stages would change the decision on equipment. What am I missing?

I'm perplexed by a club member that wanted to know which classifier stages we will shoot at an upcoming classifier match so he could decide which gun to bring. I'm having difficulty understanding why particular stages would change the decision on equipment. What am I missing?

Does it really matter? Classifiers are routinely published in advance at many clubs, and they're all listed in the book. It's not as if they're a state secret or you're giving the shooter a special advantage.

Maybe they're thinking about shooting revolver and want to see whether you're running a revolver-friendly classifier. Maybe they're one good classifier from moving up in one division or another. Maybe they just like to obsess over equipment and stage strategy.

At any rate, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable request to me.

BB

Edited by bbbean

Didn't mean the request was unreasonable, I just didn't understand the implication of different stage design. Seems Skydiver had the answer that makes sense to me. I just take whatever gun appeals to me when I get kitted up but then I'm not obsessive or anal about this game. I'm just here for the sheer joy and freedom of shooting.

Thx :cheers:

Well many shooters compete in several divisions and do not want to repeat a classifier that they have already shot with a particular division. If you shoot the same classifier in back to back months shooting revolver division (for example), only one of them will count when the next classification is calculated. To avoid duplicating a classifer and not having one count in this way, it would be advantageous for a shooter to shoot another division if the duplication would occur.

I competed in the Memphis Charity Challenge in 2011 and the monthly match at the host range used the same stages (except two). I had shot in revolver division (the MCC is a revolver match) and decided to shoot the monthly match the next day. Since the classifier was going to be the same, I decided to shoot Production Division at the monthly match. That way I would get the classifer used for both divisions in the next calculation the next month instead of just one division (since I was shooting it twice in that month). I did use my revolver in Production Division though during the monthly match.

If I recall correctly if I had shot the classifier in revolver division both times, I would have gotten the better of the two used in the next calculation for classification. I took the chance to see how I would do shooting production division with my revolver in a match, and I got a classifier in for production division while I was at it.

Edited by Blueridge

That's the missing piece of information I needed. I wasn't aware of the no rating on sequential shoots of the same stage. It's all clear now. Thanks. :cheers:

The clubs in my section try to make sure that we don't repeat a classifier that was just done at another club within the last few months. Inevitably, something does repeat too soon, but most people don't mind unless they are working towards getting classified prior to a major match.