Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Win 231 in .45 cap lrn

Mikethor

Mikethor - 5.4 grains of 231 makes a very accurate load with good 230 grain LRN bullets. bump to 5.6 for 230 FMJ

-john

Had not chronoed any loads for a very long time and have a big shoot coming up.

Lucky I did, I'm shooting a colt gold cup at the moment and now using berrys plated 230 grain same coal and 5.1 g of 231. Average of 650 fps and need 740 from memory to make major - big drop changing from the sig and to plated from lrn.

Just brewing up a batch using 5.4 of 231 which should do the trick ??

5.4 grains easily makes major in my Kart barrels with lead 230 RN.

Well the other chrono is playing up so I'm going to go with 5.4 gr of 231 and will hope they make major which they should even in th old colt barrel.

I tried 5 rds today of 5.5 gr 231 and they were really nice and snappy but felt a little on the hot side but nothing like the federal ae I shot off last week which are around the 850 fps mark according to the packet anyway.

Well the other chrono is playing up so I'm going to go with 5.4 gr of 231 and will hope they make major which they should even in th old colt barrel.

I tried 5 rds today of 5.5 gr 231 and they were really nice and snappy but felt a little on the hot side but nothing like the federal ae I shot off last week which are around the 850 fps mark according to the packet anyway.

There are 230 gr plated berry s I'm using which I believe should be loaded somewhere between lead and fmj.

Well really struggling to make major with the berrys plated and my old early 1980 colt gold cup national match. Oal of 1.265 and 5.7 gr of wsi and only just hit 750 fps which makes major but the majority where in around 720 fps. These loads are very accurate with this oal so do I either bump them up to 5.9 of 231 with the berrys plated 230 or do I reduce the loads and oal ? I really think at 5.9 I should be fine and at 5.7 of 231 there were no indications of pressure issues , I know my oal is long but it works well in my colt and is accurate so I would prefer to just increase to 5.9.

Any ideas would be appreciated.