Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This just doesn't seem safe?

Geezer

Thanks to info I found on this forum, I just completed set-up of one of my SDB presses to load 38 Short Colt for use in my 627-5 PC open gun that I use in ICORE. I have been loading 38 Spcl brass with 160 gr RNL Bayou Bullet and 3.9 gr Titegroup with an OAL of 1.55. This combo gives me a PF of 130. Searching this forum I found a recipe for short colt using a 170 gr RNL molycoated bullet and 3.9 gr Titegroup with an OAL of 1.24 (no PF given).

It appears to me that with 3.9 gr TG in the shorter case there would be almost no dead air space. I really need some assurances on this (one way or the other) before I load and shoot this. What think Ye ?

Reduce the load with the shorter OAL. I don't use TG but can give a comparison using Solo 1000. .38 special, 147 gr coated TC, 4.4 gr is ~890 fps with a 1.410 OAL. Short brass, 1.200 OAL, needs 3.9 gr to go ~890 fps. Your case volume change is greater so the percent of charge reduction should be greater. To start I'd try maybe 2.8 gr TG if you're using 3.9 @ 1.55 OAL. Load a couple, chronograph them, then adjust.

Always work your load up, I wouldnt just trust any data you find on the internet. It gives you an idea of where you want to end up at,. but definitely dont start there.

Yes of course. I think this would be a potentially dangerous load in such a short case, Just really looking for validation on that and perhaps a starting point to use. I'm thinking start at 3.3 gr.

Hodgon lists a MAX load of 2.7 gr under a 135 gr LRN and an OAL of 1.135 which leads to a PF of 102,600 I'm thinking this might be conservative since this is an old cartridge and might be fired in an old gun. Under the 135 gr bullet the PF should (by interpolation) be 125,000 using 3.3 gr of TG

I'm just not sure how to factor in the longer OAL and heavier bullet.

Edited by Geezer

Reduce the load with the shorter OAL. I don't use TG but can give a comparison using Solo 1000. .38 special, 147 gr coated TC, 4.4 gr is ~890 fps with a 1.410 OAL. Short brass, 1.200 OAL, needs 3.9 gr to go ~890 fps. Your case volume change is greater so the percent of charge reduction should be greater. To start I'd try maybe 2.8 gr TG if you're using 3.9 @ 1.55 OAL. Load a couple, chronograph them, then adjust.

Thanks for adding your input Tom, this info is very helpful. I've settled on an OAL of 1.20 in the short case which is a reduction of 0.35" or about 23% from my 38 spcl load. So if I reduce my powder charge by 23% to 3.0 it should be a good start point. In your case you dropped your OAL by 15% and your powder by 11% to achieve the same PF. So I might have to bump it up above 3.0 but it seems safe to start there.

I've settled on an OAL of 1.20 in the short case which is a reduction of 0.35" or about 23% from my 38 spcl load.

Yes and no. You've reduced your OAL by 23% but you have a greater reduction of trapped/effective volume. The volume in the case under the bullet base.

I've settled on an OAL of 1.20 in the short case which is a reduction of 0.35" or about 23% from my 38 spcl load.

Yes and no. You've reduced your OAL by 23% but you have a greater reduction of trapped/effective volume. The volume in the case under the bullet base.

And that's exactly why I was concerned and started this post.