Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying two seats: get two carry-on bags?

(This thread was inspired by the "I Hate" thread about XXXL people flying and not buying two seats.)

Like the person on that thread, I invariably end up sitting beside somebody overflowing their seat and part of mine. This isn't too bad since I'm on the small side so I can be a little courteous and give them a bit more room.

I've always wondered, though:

- If I buy two seats, am I now allowed allowed to bring two carry-on bags? (They always announce at the gate that it's one carry-on bag per person.)

- If I buy two seats, but at the gate the figure out that I'm small to normal sized, can they split my two seats like they sometimes do with couples/families flying together?

I've sometimes considered buying two seats at times because with the way the prices are manipulated, it's sometimes cheaper to buy two seats than it is to fly first class. On a 5-6 hour flight, the extra room is always good, and if can be done on the cheap... :lol:

Edited by Skydiver

Add - If you buy 2 seats, and the plane is overbooked, will they treat the vacant seat you purchased as the equal of any other seat? Specifically, if they do not get to you via their involuntary bumping procedures, will they allow the extra seat you bought to remain MT while passengers are left @ the gate?

Also, when it comes to keeping the extra seat MT in the face of stranded passengers - will your rental of the extra seat be treated the same as the extra seat the famous person who does not want to sit next to a commoner purchased in first class? Yes, there are rich people who actually buy two first class seats so they don't rub elbows with the unwashed masses.