Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone reload 7.62X39Russian using .308" bullets?

Chills1994

Hi all,

Yeah, I am just wondering how viable of an idea it is to reload brass (American Eagle branded) 7.62X39Russian using the much heavier 147 grain .308" bullets that were originally meant for the M60/M240 machine gun???

Unlike an AK or SKS, this particular AR has a .308" bore.

The American Eagle brass cased factory ammo I have bought before comes with a 123 grain bullet. I have seen some of that ammo advertised before but loaded with a 154 grain bullet instead.

Thanks!

Loading and running 150 gr bullets in the X39 is quite easy and they shoot fine. I have done it both in my CZ527 bolt and in my SKS/AK. I recently started playing with 200 gr. (cast lead) bullets in the X39 in the bolt gun and they are great also. I have to mess with the OAL and then try them in the autos.

In this case if you are gogint o run .308" bullets then you need to make sure you use the smaller neck expander when resizing the cases so the case will hold the bullet.

Neal in AZ

Okay, great!

:cheers:

Thanks!

Do you have any suggestions for a powder choice and a charge weight?

And an overall length?

Just as a disclaimer, I cross check anything I get off the internet with other "published" sources.

Again, thanks!

Hodgdon has data for a 150 gr. in 7.62 X 39. I happen to have a Jug of H322 for loading in my 6 PPC rifle so I used that. It worked well, probably not much difference if all the powders used are in the same burn rate range.

Accurate Arms powders also has some data for 150 gr bullets in case you have some 2230.

Neal in AZ