Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 35

shovel_doctor

I disagree on "the more the better." I have posted several times over the past couple of years that my first 40 open load (135 Rainier, 9.0 Silhouette) had too much gas. Once the bullet has left the comp, any extra gas produced goes out the end of the comp and contributes to muzzle flip. I moved up to a slightly faster powder (Power Pistol) and found the right balance of gas volume vs. gas pressure.

I disagree on "the more the better." I have posted several times over the past couple of years that my first 40 open load (135 Rainier, 9.0 Silhouette) had too much gas. Once the bullet has left the comp, any extra gas produced goes out the end of the comp and contributes to muzzle flip. I moved up to a slightly faster powder (Power Pistol) and found the right balance of gas volume vs. gas pressure.

I am no authority on 40 open, but I know for a fact that the fast powders the OP was talking about SUCK for 38SC and 9Major. There is a reason the real authorities on Open guns, the builders recommend slow powders and a lot of them.