Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

sti gp6 spring question

hal1955

• 5 months later...

I changed the hammer spring on two gp6s . They went from 12 pounds da :surprise: to a nice and smooth 7 pounds :goof: da pull . The sa stock was almost 6 pounds :sick: . But it still felt good . now it is perfect . Its not realy easy to work on the gp6 (well compared to a glock ) . I even took many pictures on the disassambling to put the new hammer spring . I got the hammer spring from Zemog (estuardo gomez) in guatemala at the columbus cub . I don't think you are going to find anybody that knows the gp6 like those guys . They costume make the springs . They told me what to do with extraction problems (that many shooters in guatemala are having ) and how to fix it . I hated my gp6 and my buddy hated it as well because every few round it wouldn't extract the round . on mine sometimes was every round .I'm glad i didn't go with the gp6 at the columbus cup.I went with my glock because the gp6 gave me lots of trouble from the beginning.My buddy was pissed everyday because he had to every few round remove the magazine (it wouldn't slide with the magazine in) to remove the fired case. Now after the modifications i'm in love with the gun :bow: .

Hmm, that's strange. I've had mine for over a year and havn't had any major problems with it at all other than the one time I switched gun oils for a day. Since then it's been smooth sailing. Glad you got it all worked out though! :cheers:

Hmm, that's strange. I've had mine for over a year and havn't had any major problems with it at all other than the one time I switched gun oils for a day. Since then it's been smooth sailing. Glad you got it all worked out though! :cheers:

mine too. havent encountered such problem, il be glad to tweak to replace the hammer spring if its available :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

I have purchased a set of Wolf Beretta 92 recoil springs and simply cut them to proper length.

Then once I was satisfied with a 130PF recipe, I simply tried all the springs until I found the one I like.

Seriously, I have otherwise no recoil management issue with the GP6. Even with the stock spring. And as Brian says in the book, recoil should not matter as long as you can manage it, and manage it you can.

As for the DA pull, it is indeed heavy and not the best feature of the gun, but I find out that I almost never miss on the first shot. It takes a lot of dry fire practice.

The SA pull on the GP6 should be the mark by which the SA pull is evaluated on all stock pistols.

As in "not as smooth and light as on the GP6 but somewhat close".

Extration issues are always due to a failure to feed with a short OAL (this is not a CZ) or too powerful of a load (which can be also caused by short OAL => higher pressure).

So where are these guys located in Guatemala?

Edited by NicVerAZ

• 3 months later...

Not with the hammer spring. I got a factory replacement spring and the metal guide rod from my Slovak fairy godfather. After about 8k on my origional, it had become about a centimeter shorter than the replacement.

I had forgotten to ask for replacement hammer springs, but wouldn`t consider messing with the weight. I load S&B primers for my practice ammo and they are a bit harder.

I compared the new sear spring to the origional. I couldn`t see any difference. I retired the origional sear and hammer as good spares for the range bag, as I upgraded to the newer X-Calibur hammer group.

Here are a few comparison pictures.

X-Calibur hammer group

Not with the hammer spring. I got a factory replacement spring and the metal guide rod from my Slovak fairy godfather. After about 8k on my origional, it had become about a centimeter shorter than the replacement.

What replacement spring and guide rod are you talking about? Recoil spring?

I have myself replaced the OEM spring today with a 12lbs Beretta 92 cut to the same length, making it a 10lbs (+/- .5 lbs). Works a lot better with my load: 147gr @ 133 PF.

I retired the origional sear and hammer as good spares for the range bag, as I upgraded to the newer X-Calibur hammer group.

Any chance you could hook me up for the X-calibur hammer group before Ryan gets his parts order sorted out?

I retired the origional sear and hammer as good spares for the range bag, as I upgraded to the newer X-Calibur hammer group.

Any chance you could hook me up for the X-calibur hammer group before Ryan gets his parts order sorted out?

That is something we could ask Robbie as well. He is the new guy.

What replacement spring and guide rod are you talking about? Recoil spring?

I have myself replaced the OEM spring today with a 12lbs Beretta 92 cut to the same length, making it a 10lbs (+/- .5 lbs). Works a lot better with my load: 147gr @ 133 PF.

Grand Power make a steel guide rod for the standard and X-Calibur length slides. I asked for one of each so I could see if they make any noticable difference. I got a replacement recoild spring for both.

If you want spare parts that Century Arms are not currently stocking, you will probably have to go to the source, I have no idea how much paperwork is involved to get an import permit in the US, or what the threshold is before one is required.

If no permit is required, you should be able to get your parts direct from Grand Power. Mine were shipped on a Friday and at my door before dinner that Monday.

Sorry, I couldn't sell parts that were given to me. If by Ryan you're talking Blueline, they should likely have the first order in before December.