Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 thumb safety help

zdog

They are easy to duplicate. Have your GS grind off the thumb shelf and silver braze or weld on a piece of metal similar to the Swenson only extended back more than standard then contour and check it a bit at a time until it feels right then serrate and finish.

Richard

PS: Sent you a PM

Edited by chirpy

Sometimes, it's about adapting the gun to you. Sometimes, it's about adapting you to the gun.

That's what my folks kept telling me when I wanted to get a bike when I was 12. They said: Your brother's bike will be fine, just wait, you will grow into it. Well, I have stopped growing and I want something that fits now.

zdog

I love shooting my Colt 1911 but I have hands on the smaller side so I have had to make some changes. I have the short trigger and the thin grips. I used to have the GunSite low ride thumb safety which worked great till I found out that when shooting left handed I kept engaging the safety. This is not a good thing so I removed it and returned it. I have since learned that there may be someone making a a mid-range thumb safety that allows folks with smaller hands to use the ride the safety grip and still shoot with the left hand and not constantly engage the safety.

My question is: Does anyone know of such a safety for the 1911?

zdog

I finally found what I was after and have one otw. This is a link to the mid height 1911 thumb safety.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=326799

zdog

I have small hands too. My thumb didn't even come close to the mag release. I installed a set of VZ slim grips, and a Wilson Combat extended mag release, and lightened mag release spring. I can now drop the mags without shifting my grip at all. My support hand does not touch the mag release. And when shooting left handed, the mag release is below the trigger finger but above my index finger. No matter how I try, I can't accidentally release the mag with my support hand or shooting left handed.