Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

If in doubt about equipment ...

kdj

[Aside: I'm getting concerned that this forum could be the one I post in most often ;)]

I've come to the conclusion that my Aimpoint has heard me talking about putting a C-more on the new gun and is out to get me! (Over-anthropomorphasization :rolleyes:). Last Monday, the mounting screws broke and moved the point of aim a few inches, leading to my lowest score ever in that league.

At the TASC match yesterday, it went one step further...

Fourth and final stage, 22 rounds, starting from a table. Most paper targets have either hard cover or no shoots around (since the stage was borrowed from a Nationals course book!). While preping, I notice the dot is dim and seems to be fading. Here's where I made my mistake and allowed the Aimpoint to get me: "Hmm. Looks like the battery is going. I have been using it a lot recently and I think I left it on overnight. I have a few spares in my box ... but I'm on the stage and ready to go. I'll shoot this stage and then change the battery tonight."

I'm sure you can guess what comes next.

First target, first shot: A barely visible red ghost of a dot. Second shot: Just the after image of the ghost. There after: Nothing ... Zip ... Nada!

I shot the stage aiming through the tube. For the occational open target, it was fine and I could hit full size poppers. However, staying well away from no-shoots and other more difficult shots resulted in 4 Mikes on one stage.

Lesson for all: If it looks like something is going wrong, it probably is. It would have been worth telling the RO that I needed to bump down the order and take to 2 minutes to replace the battery!

Maybe if I make all possible mistakes early enough in my shooting career, I'll be able to get them behind me and ... assuming the set of possible mistakes is not infinite that is!

Kevin