Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dskinsler83 range diary

dskinsler83

Well here goes my attempt at starting a range diary. I am currently just about through the Mike Seeklander book and training guide and will and have been implementing it in what is left of this year. I have 2 local prize type matches left in the year the rest are just my regular local monthly club type matches. I really love the shooting sports and I enjoy learning more and more and any tips that I can provide to a new shooter makes it better. Some of my fellow shooters and myself really plan on digging in for the 2012 season and make it to more sanctioned matches. I started in IDPA with CDP and have went to a G34 Gen 3 for SSP/Production and a G35 and G24 were my Limited guns until I fell upon a good deal on 2 P16s on the classifieds here. Maybe I swap back and forth to much but I love shooting and the changes. I am currently EXP in SSP in IDPA and want to make Master there. My ESP gun is going to be one of the P16s I picked up and it is currently at FGW for some work and refinishing. I will be either building a custom CDP or buying one of FGWs great looking STI Spartan 45ACP packages. I have gotten my first classification in USPSA last month and it is "C". I have just introduced my girlfriend into shooting and we are currently getting her setup with the help of you great folks in the classifieds here as well. I really think there is nothing greater than the shooting sports. I hope to make it far and show more and more people the way to this great sport we all share and love. My 2yr old lil girl will hopefully follow in my foot steps as well. I just received my I-Kams not long ago and will be posting my match videos as I shoot them.

Please feel free to comment and to give tips and critique guys and gals but please keep this stuff clean and sportsman like. I want to learn and will be seeking out one of the great local shooters in my area for training as soon as he gets his place all set up to teach. I shoot with him and his son as often as possible and always learn something new.

Thanks alot BE for all the info one could hope to find in one place and all the great shooters and suppliers around. Thanks to FGW in advance for what I hope to be a great customer/gunsmith relationship. Thanks to all the supporters and thanks to IDPA and USPSA for providing us such great things to do with our god given rights :cheers:

Well the TAC2 13th Annual Championship is in the books and boy did I bomb this one!!! :angry2: I am actually kinda sick to my stomach after this match. I had gun trouble all day starting from the very begining. I actually shot worse today than I have since I started in the sports! Wow i am gonna put the double stack P16 up and shoot the G34 agian for a lil bit until I make master with that and then focus on the ESP/Limited guns. I finished well below the people I normally can hang with or beat but hey everyone has to have a bad day huh lol. I am very happy for my fellow shooters that shot well and won thier great prizes :cheers:. Sooooo back to plastic for me for a lil while.

Thanks goes out to TAC2 and all the great match sponsors and RO/SOs for the match.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I decided to stick with the P16 in minor for the annual ORSA 2011 Toys For Tots match. Today we had 104 shooters finish with me being back at #19. I found out it was my long loaded ammo catching the slide stop so with my files and bench vise that was fixed quite quickly. I have videos to put on Youtube but I'm having computer troubles. It was a fun match but most of all it was for a great cause! Until next shoot and post stay safe and ahoot straight guys and gals

Well I was awoken today with a phone call from FGW's owner Bobby Keigans :bow:. He was getting me caught up on the progress of my old Dawson-Jarret P16 he is bringing back to life for me. It was a pleasure to talk to such a great craftsman. I can not wait to see the finished project. I personally believe the Para platform is just as good as the S_I platforms as long as the best of the best has tuned it to run. After talking with Bobby and learning a new accronymn for IDPA I have decided that this gun will be used mostly for USPSA and at the local IDPA matches. As said before about Mr Keigans I commend him on his beautiful work and taking great care of his customers even with a brand new and very beautiful baby girl at home. I hope to be shooting this gun in my 2012 season along with my other guns and will let all my fellow Para shooters know how it does. Many Para shooters look for the perfect smith for thier guns and I believe in my heart that Bobby is one of the few. I will keep all posted.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm been a while since my last post here. I have since traded the P16 that left the bad taste in my mouth at the TAC2 match in October of 2011. I traded for a Tanfogolio Stock II that was already tuned out with all the Henning/EGW parts and love how it feels to shoot. I have finish reading the Mike Seeklander book and got his new videos to accompany the program. I ordered my SS gun from FGW which is Bobbys Trojan Package. He will be sending my beautifully updated P16 back soon too. Check out the pics on his vendor page. I have a few goals in mind for 2012 and am looking to shoot more majors this year. Deff wanna make the Pro-Am and TN sectional and a few more. Until next time shoot often and be safe guys and gals!

• 1 month later...

Well again it has been a while since I posted here. First off I started my 2012 season off decently enough with the first USPSA match of the year @ TAC2 in Greeneville, TN. I shot my Tanfo Stock II and following a 2 month break I did very well finishing in the top of the match other than the reentry 2nd gun shooters. Also I have my beautiful refinished P16 back in my hands from FGW. I shot it this weekend at my local IDPA match and it is so smooth thanks again Bobby Keigans @ FGW! Now on to the rest of my stories, as I stated in the last post I am looking to get more majors in this season. I will begin by shooting the SC State at the end of March marking my very first ever USPSA Major match. I am also currently signed up for the Ohio State in May and I also accomplished a goal already for this season. I am shooting the PRO-AM baby both matches Limited and Open all in one day :eatdrink: LOL. My SS is in the works as we speak also being done by Bobby Keigans @ FGW :cheers:. I also hope to make the GA State match as well. I am going to shoot my Para this weekend coming at the USPSA match in Oak Ridge and after that I will be making the difficult decision on which gun I will shoot for the remainder of the season. Either my Para or Tanfo Stock II and it will be a tuff choice for me as both are very accurate and smooth, both fit so well in my hand that I wish I just had custom built Limited gun from FGW to make the choice easier :roflol:

Any ways I am really looking forward to this 2012 season and hope to have many many more to come. I have also been introducing my pride and joy daughter to shooting and take her with me to the range when I practice as much as I can. I think it is important to keep our youth educated on the importance of firearm saftey. I have also gotten my girlfriend very addicted to shooting and she also has started to learn how to reload using my 550B. :ph34r: lol I hope this is a smart move,,,,just kidding she is really great.

Until the next time shoot straight and often and share it with all that you can. Be safe guys and gals and hope to meet a few of you as I enjoy shooting these upcoming major matches.

• 2 weeks later...

Well 3rd Limited shooter at ORSA USPSA for march 2012. Getting excited for SC State in a week. Went and chronoed ammo today and I'm going to have to up the charge of WST. I got my new VZ Operator II grips fitted to my P16. They feel good and nice and thin.

Been trying different holster angles and have settled on an almost 90° fit for my CR-Speed and have all new mag springs in my pistol. I have since sold my Tanfo and G24 and ordered a custom FGW Limited gun and will strictly shoot my P16 until I get it. My SS FGW Trojan should be done soon too.

Took my nephew and my girlfriends lil girl and lil brother and my lil girl shooting today and all had a fun educational and safe day.

Be safe guys and gals

• 2 weeks later...

Lol is all I can really do now about the SC State. My extractor failure left me shooting my girlfriends gun for my back up and there was no come back from the downward spiral I fell into. I still finished the match and enjoyedy first major USPSA match with many friends and among great shooters!

I met a couple of FGW Team shooters and aspire to be one of those lucky few.

Had a great long conversation with Bobby Keigans and a good friend of mine G Perez following my return home these last couple of days.

Ordered a new extractor from Shooters Connection and hopefully it'll be here before Saturday. Gotta get back up and dust your self off. As a great line from a favored song says "You gotta reach down, dig deep and break ground let them know you won't be beaten!"

Until next post I hope to meet many many more of you this season!

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so since my last post I have bit the bullet sold my G24 and Tanfoglio Stock II and ordered a custom built limited gun from yep you guessed it! FGW!!!! Still waiting on my SS gun from FGW and hopefully will get it soon. My new Aftec is in after Bobby walked me through the install over the phone. It works great and wish I'd put one in when I sent the Para down for refinishing. I've talked with TT of Para as well and sounds like some exciting things are coming from Para USA with TT on board! I've sold my Gen 3 G34 & G35, my standard Moss 930 and a XDM 3.8 SC and all that money has went to my Limited gun as well.

So I'm still shooting the P16 and will be until my custom gun gets here. I'm going to shoot my SS in my local matches for classification purposes.

So keep up the great work FGW and shoot straight and often guys and gals!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so major match 2 in the books and I am 20 out of 83 Limited shooters, 6th B and 70 outta 323 shooters. Not to bad since its my second major and shooting USPSA since October of last year. My P16 ran great and met alot of great people and shot a good match.

We have scheduled a class for some training to help fine tune some stuff and I really need to buckle down and train but I just can't make myself do it. Tiffany will be going with me for her first class and I think it will truely and really help her and will prob kick my butt afterwards lol.

How does one make their self practice??