Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trying to understand 2nd focal plane BDC reticles...

Audifn

I have been reading and researching up a storm trying to scope and rifle business as I get geared up for 3gun.

However, I am quite confused about this second plane reticle issue...

I have a Burris MTAC 1-4 (at least until I know what I want) with the BDC reticle.

The MTAC is a 2nd focal plane reticle and from the reading I've done, that means that the BDC "dots" will only be accurate on the max (4x) magnification.

If thats the case then whats the point of having a variable power scope, if the aiming reticle is not accurate for 1-3x magnification?

How are you supposed to shoot accurately at 1X?

Also when it comes to sighting in the MTAC, should I zero it on 4x or 1x to account for this?

And do I still follow the burris 100 yard zero?

This stuff is confusing the crap out of me, so thanks in advance for your help.

Tanner

I have been reading and researching up a storm trying to scope and rifle business as I get geared up for 3gun.

However, I am quite confused about this second plane reticle issue...

I have a Burris MTAC 1-4 (at least until I know what I want) with the BDC reticle.

The MTAC is a 2nd focal plane reticle and from the reading I've done, that means that the BDC "dots" will only be accurate on the max (4x) magnification.

If thats the case then whats the point of having a variable power scope, if the aiming reticle is not accurate for 1-3x magnification?

How are you supposed to shoot accurately at 1X?

Also when it comes to sighting in the MTAC, should I zero it on 4x or 1x to account for this?

And do I still follow the burris 100 yard zero?

This stuff is confusing the crap out of me, so thanks in advance for your help.

Tanner

Tanner the center of the reticle is always accurate. Meaning that is your point of aim no matter what the magnification. However the points below that get smaller in realtive distance as the maginifcation is cranked up from 1 to 4. You frankly don't need to use the ranging points below 4x, at least I never have. So from 0 to 250 yards or so you just aim dead on and pull the trigger no matter what the power setting on the scope. If you have longer range targets crank the power up to 4x and then use the appropriot hold over point on your reticle and pull the trigger.

Pat

That is a good point, on the 1-4s it is really 1 or 4 (at least for me and it seems like what I have seen with other 3 gun comp.). 1x is basically red dot territory and 4x is for the longer ranges. Besides, how often do we shoot exactly what the BDC is set up for. It is more important to know YOUR gun and ammo combo. Ie. I like a 200 yard zero, from that point I need to know where to hold for the other ranges based on me, my gun and my ammo. These are not designed to be used like a scope with a HORUS or other reticle.

Also, the various reticles can come in handy at close ranges. Since there is a major hold off for shots from muzzle to about 30 yards, it is nice to be able to use part of the reticle at the point of aim for those ranges.

Sight the TAC and MTAC on 4X. Centre of middle dot for 100yds, bottom of dot for 200yds.

Test at 200yds on 4X and verify. Do same for 300yds.

For hoser stages, set at 1X and use the centre dot like an Aimpoint. Or, crank up the power till the circle brackets the target and use the centre dot for quick snap shots if you prefer...

As already said, you still need to know where your rifle/ammo combo will shoot. That "300yd" dot may be 280yds or 320 yds for YOUR set up...

Mick

Edited by MickB

Thank you for the insight guys, it all makes a lot more sense now.

Sight the TAC and MTAC on 4X. Centre of middle dot for 100yds, bottom of dot for 200yds.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but how do you go about doing this?

Don't understand how you can zero the same dot for two different distances.

Sure can't do that with my c-more =)

The centre dot is about 3 MOA or so. Put the dot on the target and zero for 100 yards. Now, use the bottom of the dot as your sighting point, and you should be good for 200 yards.

I was checking my zero over the weekend. I put the dot on black target circle and checked zero.

Then took the same target back to 200 yards. I put the bottom of the dot on top of the black target (making an "8") and verified my rounds were hitting the top of the black.

Mick

Thank you for the insight guys, it all makes a lot more sense now.

Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question, but how do you go about doing this?

Don't understand how you can zero the same dot for two different distances.

Sure can't do that with my c-more =)

I actually use the top of the dot for 200 yards and use the scope subtension info and ammo ballistic data for the rest like bottom of dot and then use center of the bdc dots for POA at distance.

I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or not though but I haven't run into any issues so far.

I like that idea. With the top of the dot at 200 yards, what are the ranges for the other dots for your rifle/ammo combo?

Mick

I actually use the top of the dot for 200 yards and use the scope subtension info and ammo ballistic data for the rest like bottom of dot and then use center of the bdc dots for POA at distance.

I'm not sure if this is a bad idea or not though but I haven't run into any issues so far.