Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

anyone using a pelican 1510 as a range bag?

digby7

thinking about getting a Pelican 1510 to use as a range bag. Its between that and the new CED/DAA range pack pro. Trying to see if anyone has used one successfully for a range bag or if it doesn't really work.

I have a CED range bag now - typically I bring some tools/extra parts, open gun in a pistol bag, 5 mags, uplula, 300 rounds of ammo, muffs, some rags, mag brush

not a 100% sure how the little wheels on the case will do on rocky/gravely surface and not a 100% sure everything will fit in there. Also trying to decide between the velcro insides or the pick and pluck foam.

any insight welcome.

I don't use them as range bags, but i have a few pelican cases. Tougher than hell, but not light. They are very good at protecting your gear but that comes at the cost of weight. Pick and pluck foam is awesome for holding the gear exactly they way you want, but you then give up flexibility. If everything is in it's place, there is nowhere to put the odd item. I use a small ruck for range stuff. Its big enough to also hold the small pistol bag I use too.

Free Pelican Plug: I was witness to a pickup truck that had four rifles (all in hard cases) strapped down in the bed when it was rear ended in a pretty serious wreck. Both rifles in Pelicans were found to be in perfect condition while the other two were not. Both Pelican cases are still in service, albeit with nice road rash.

I don't but have considered it.

I've got loads of Pelicans for photography and music gear.

The ones with a retractable handle and wheels would be nice.

Negatives, you have to open it up to get to anything.

I generally have a bag for quick access and the Pelican for mass storage

I have a 1510 that I use when I travel and I have often thought about using it as a range bag. However, the thing is stout (ie heavy) and I'm still not convinced that it works better than a traditional nylon / cordura range bag.

I have a 1510 that I use when I travel and I have often thought about using it as a range bag. However, the thing is stout (ie heavy) and I'm still not convinced that it works better than a traditional nylon / cordura range bag.

i get that its heavy but how heavy is it if its got wheels and your rolling it along - also - since you have one - how well do you think it would roll on gravel or would it just drag?

It drags on gravel.

Velcro dividers stay cleaner than pick and pluck.

The foam shreds over time.

I have always used pouches/organizers inside of the dividers as need.

I use a Domke canvas camera bag as a range bag ( already owned it).

But have been thinking about using a Pelican.

I could fit targets in the lid behind the foam.

Great for carrying ammo and toolkits.

Easily protects eye and hearing protection.

Could carry extra containers for picked up brass...

For me, the Bag is fine when I am LEAVING the range.

But lately I bring an Ammo box with me and end up carrying targets loose.

Carrying a Rolling case is definitely better on your back even if you have to pick it up ccasionally.

The empty cases aren't heavy considering what they can carry.

For years I used heavy custom plywood flight cases.

THAT was heavy

just found this as well:

http://www.ronscheffler.com/blog/?page_id=388

"As I mentioned it’s not perfect. The wheels don’t have much ground clearance, don’t like rough pavement and have a tendency to wear out after a few years (and will be covered under warranty). Forget about gravel, sand, etc. It’s definitely not an ‘off road’ roller, but it’s a great case to have in the truck when off roading."