Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bruce Lee on comp shooting prep

bigphiltheshootist

"Any technique, however worthy and desirable, becomes a disease when the mind is obsessed with it."

Bruce Lee

We discuss many methods of preparation in shooting both for personal and competition uses. The Important thing to remember is that the preparation of the mind for battle is of the utmost importance and should be a constant keeper of balance. This should be investigated thoroughly. :)

There is "obsessed with technique and form" and then there is "obsessed with performing the technique only one, predetermined way." I perceive his statement as saying, "Be open to change. Don't simply disconnect your mind, buy off on the One True Way to do anything, and let your technique calcify."

There is "obsessed with technique and form" and then there is "obsessed with performing the technique only one, predetermined way." I perceive his statement as saying, "Be open to change. Don't simply disconnect your mind, buy off on the One True Way to do anything, and let your technique calcify."

I agree with you Duane, Bruce Lee was a practice fanatic, however he was not married to any one type of form.

“Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”

― Bruce Lee