Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bar dot sight

Red Ryder

I was thinking about why I liked my Kahr arms so much and it came to me. I really like the bar dot sight. It has superb sight aquisition. Superfast! I've been looking around and No One makes a good bar dot sight. I think it is the fastest sight set up for target alignment, yet no one uses it for this game. Is anyone else a bar dot sight fan?

I can't address why others don't use it in the game, but the use came from the serious side of the handgun business (of which we will not speak)... Sig and Beretta have done it for years on their iron sights.

In serious uses during dynamic exchanges of a social nature, people had to look at the target in focus, not the sights, as the outcome of the next few seconds hinged on on what the target was doing and in particular what was or wasn't in their hands. People who were pointing handguns at other people found that when keeping both eyes open and focused on the target that they saw 2 sets of sights.... Alignment with that condition becomes more of a challenge. It CAN be done no matter what sight is being used, but most people will find that in that scenario keeping a dot over a bar (or square) is easier. If the two are alligned, windage is good and if they are reasonably close to one another elevation is ok. People lots smarter than me have said that it is because the brain finds the alignment of two things easier than three. It takes out the possibilty of aligning three dot sights with the front sight to the outside of either rear seat..... Dont laugh, its been done. The next time you have both a set of bar dots and three dots together try it out.

Now the above is blasphemy to an accuracy artist, but it is real world.

I have night sights on two Sigs in Bar Dot configuration. Love'em. When I game, which isn't often, I use a F/O front and a plain rear. As far as who makes Bar Dots now...... what pistol do you want them for? In last resort a dimple can be machined into your front sight and a square relief cut into your rear. Fill both with laquer in a color of your choice. With the relief cuts filled, it is fairly durable.

Here you go Red Ryder...

xssights.com

Famous for their 'big dot bar' sights....used on Glocks and Taurus 24/7's a lot....

Undrpsi

I was thinking about why I liked my Kahr arms so much and it came to me. I really like the bar dot sight. It has superb sight aquisition. Superfast! I've been looking around and No One makes a good bar dot sight. I think it is the fastest sight set up for target alignment, yet no one uses it for this game. Is anyone else a bar dot sight fan?