Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

best gun for a kid to start shooting USPSA

bruised lee

I have three daughters. All like shooting my Ruger SR9 and .22 Mark III Hunter with ProPoint red dot. I use the latter for a Steel and Pins gun. They like the .22 much better for the grip and reduced recoil, however it cost quite a bit more. It has full Vq parts swap & Vq Mark II hammmer w/ Clark bushing to elim mag disconnect.

My youngest is 9 and oldest is 13 and all seem much more comfortable with the red dot, but they really like the grip of the SR9. The youngest still has trouble using iron sights while the other two can shoot both equally well. In the end, the reduced recoil is probably the biggest decision maker for them when they go to pick up one over the other.

None of them like the grip on my STI Edge (40s&w) and their hands are not able to comfortably or confidently work the various controls easily. Only the oldest will even try to shoot it.

I've not taken them to a match at all, and none have really expressed interest in competing. However, they do want to come watch a match or two which hasn't happened yet with schedules. I have a feeling they would enjoy shooting steel over USPSA, do to the .22 and red dot preferences.

In the end, if I were buying a gun for one of them. I'd see if I could figure out what sport they were going to play. Then, take them to a range where they had a good selection of the lower caliburs in that sport, that I could rent. Then, we'd find a gun that 'fit' their hand... or at least, rule out what doesn't work for them by way of mag action, controls, weight, sights... etc.

Good luck,

-Thanks for sharing. I will be asking you more questions if we decide to go with the .22 route. :D Been very busy lately with crazy work schedule for me and wifey because of baby so haven't been shooting lately. Hopefully will be able to bring my son shooting and get him his own gun so that he can shoot with me. But if we decides on a .22, I'll be shooting with him. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually started my 10 year old on sp101 shooting 38 speacial and speed loaders

shooting double action only

good SAFE gun to shoot and move with.

low recoil and no jamming etc

he is eleven now and is running semis but would definitely not change the way I started him out with a revolver and suggest it to all the parents that ask.

I teach safety 1st, shot placement 2nd and speed last.

and that's how a 5 shot revolver normally works LOL

t my $0.02

I use a Kimber TLE2 with a .22 conversion kit to teach new people to shoot.

Between the low caliber and weight there's NO recoil to speak of and ammo is dirt cheap.

Once they have the fundamentals down they can "progress" to a 9mm or other caliber.

Most people LOVE shooting .22

I got a S&W .22 rifle recently and my USMC veteran nephew almost wouldn't let the thing go he was having so much fun shooting it.

JK