Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ak-74 brake

SPQR476

This may seem a bit strange, but I like running the ak, so bear with me...

The standard AK-74 brake is about 1-1/8" in diameter in the thread area where it attaches to the front sight base. Before it gets to the end of the barrel, the diameter tapers down to right around an inch in diameter, but most I have measured are about .010" to .100" over the inch mark. Length is less than two inches past the muzzle, so no worries there....

My question is this....to run in tac optics, do I need to find one on the narrow side and turn it down, or replace the 74 front sight base with an akm base to get rid of the 24mm threads, then turn and thread the barrel 1/2-28 to run an ar brake, or is no one really going to care it's a hair over since I'd be running 35 year old technology on a commie rifle.

Please don't tell me to just run an AR. :-)

This may seem a bit strange, but I like running the ak, so bear with me...

The standard AK-74 brake is about 1-1/8" in diameter in the thread area where it attaches to the front sight base. Before it gets to the end of the barrel, the diameter tapers down to right around an inch in diameter, but most I have measured are about .010" to .100" over the inch mark. Length is less than two inches past the muzzle, so no worries there....

My question is this....to run in tac optics, do I need to find one on the narrow side and turn it down, or replace the 74 front sight base with an akm base to get rid of the 24mm threads, then turn and thread the barrel 1/2-28 to run an ar brake, or is no one really going to care it's a hair over since I'd be running 35 year old technology on a commie rifle.

Please don't tell me to just run an AR. :-)

No one is anal enough to measure a factory AK74 brake :P unless you beat your squad mates with an AK :cheers: .

I got $20 that says SOMEBODY would complain................ :D

Exactly, and I sometimes accidentally do well enough with a rifle that someone might gripe. I mean, it's certainly possible to make it legal if the section that covers the 24mm threads on the front sight base aren't counted since they are over the barrel, and not in any way capable of being an expansion chamber, etc., as it's completely solid...but if the section over the threads IS counted in the size measurement, you can't get there from here. The thing is, yes, I can do the 47 FSB and 1/2-28 AR brake work around, and it would give me a more effective brake, no doubt...but I'd rather just figure out a way to shoot the standard 74 brake, as long as it would pass muster.

It's obviously not a competetive advantage, but I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of someone in pro division breaking out the calipers on a crappy com bloc brake because I happened to shoot well one day.

Shoot it. If I got beat by someone running an AK, I wouldn't be worried about his brake, I'd be more worried about ME.

Shoot it, and don't say a damn thing about the size to anyone. I can't exactly see anyone breaking out a set of calipers to gauge it unless you were at MG nats.