Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.308 AR denting case necks... too much powder or too little?

jeepdude

I just made my first 10 Reloads for my Remington R-25. Everything worked flawlessly except for the dents in the case necks on ejection. I know AR-10s are hard on brass, and that a small (1/8") dent shouldn't affect reloading. Factory Gold Metal Match (which is all I've shot through it) does not have this denting problem. My thought is either the action is cycling too fast or too slow (i.e. too much or too little powder). I'm right between the the min and max load with Vhit 550 and 168 gr. Sierra Match King bullets. Any suggestions for how to minimize denting?

Thanks,

Joe

I suggest a bit more investigation. The factory load GM match has no dent? If you have access to a chrono, chrono the factory GM match and some of your loads. The dents probably come from the case striking the outside of the upper receiver...... It would be interesting to see if your load is very diff in velocity, but even more interesting what is the SD of your loads? Do the empties go to the basic same place on ejection or are they all ove the place? If your loads are cycling well and are in the middle of the suggested loads ( I don't use that powder in this appliacation, so I don't know) It may come down to how does it shoot and is it worth a bit shorter brass life.........

• 2 weeks later...

I put some soft Velcro on the case deflector. That seems to help. I still can't get my Chrono to work. I'm going to have to get a new one I guess.

If that is your goto accurate load:

Use some adhesive and put a small patch of rubber on the case deflector...

Cheap and if it works it works...

Or tune the gas system or recoil system.