Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

223/556 Chrono Data with AR COMP Powder

Taildraggerdave

I got some Alliant AR Comp Powder a couple weeks ago and found little to no data online beyond a few loadings listed on Alliant's site.

I did find a couple forums where guys liked 22.7gr with a 68gr bullet so I included that in my test.

I loaded up 4 steps each using 55gr Xtreme FMJ 55gr bullets and 4 steps using 68gr Hornady HPBT Match bullets.

Brass was twice fired, trimmed, sized, etc. Winchester brass.

Platform is a .556 chambered 20" Colt barrel.

I have an Excel sheet made up but the forum will only allow me to upload a pdf so sorry about having to go to

page two for the rest of the sheet...

I like the powder but it doesn't seem to meter much better than Varget in a Dillon 550 although YMMV.

Best group (100yards) was sub MOA but barely at .968" using the 68gr Hornady's and the best 55gr group was 2.19",

which is not bad considering how inexpensive the Xtreme's are.

Take care,

Dave

AR COMP SPREADSHEET V1.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

3117fps seems pretty decent from your 25.6gr load. Did you get any pressure signs at that point? I usually load to 2.250 OAL vs your 2.230", I wonder if lengthening that you could get a little faster yet... groups don't sound all that great, but I wonder if some tuning could improve it.

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by MustangGreg66

3117fps seems pretty decent from your 25.6gr load. Did you get any pressure signs at that point? I usually load to 2.250 OAL vs your 2.230", I wonder if lengthening that you could get a little faster yet... groups don't sound all that great, but I wonder if some tuning could improve it.

Thanks for sharing!

No pressure signs at all. I checked each case individually as they came out.

I didn't expect much from the Xtreme bullets, though. You probably could tighten the groups up with either a better projectile or some fine tuning as you say.

I bought em for up close hoser stuff.

Take care,

Dave

• 2 years later...

3117fps seems pretty decent from your 25.6gr load. Did you get any pressure signs at that point? I usually load to 2.250 OAL vs your 2.230", I wonder if lengthening that you could get a little faster yet... groups don't sound all that great, but I wonder if some tuning could improve it.Thanks for sharing!

No pressure signs at all. I checked each case individually as they came out.I didn't expect much from the Xtreme bullets, though. You probably could tighten the groups up with either a better projectile or some fine tuning as you say.I bought em for up close hoser stuff.Take care,Dave

I am using xtreme bullets with vv n133 out of a DPMS 3g2 and am getting 0.5 MOA... Oal at 2.255 and 23.5 grain, although muzzle velocity is only at 2850 out of the 16" barell. I just ordered some ar comp... We'll see how it compares...

I ended up with AR-Comp simply because it was what I could find when I got low. I found that the short extruded metered rather nicely. With 55 gr Hornady, I had respectable accuracy at 100 yd (Aimpoint, not a scope) at 23 gr and 24.6 gr. thru a Colt M4. these were a little above min and a bit below max per Hornady. For fun range time, I'm good.

Interesting numbers. I am mine are from a 16" 223 Wylde chambered barrel and run right at 250fps slower than yours pretty much across the board. Also similar numbers as far as accuracy with the Xtreme bullets. For longer distance stages/shooting I load Hornday 55grn Ballistic Tip 2nds or factory overruns since they have same trajectory and hold 3/4" at 100 yards.

1" with a colt HBAR barrel is about as good as it gets most of the time. I found that my old colt hbar shot much better with the 69's than 55's. Hornady 68's take up more internel volume compared to Sierra 69s when seated to the same depth. Nosler 69s are about the same as sierras with a little less BC. I would look at your primers and if you are not using rem 7 1/2s then give them a try as i have found that groups are much better with them and VAR or RL 15 than most other primers.