Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What trigger for 5.45 AR15?

Magnus DUX

My S&W 5.45 AR needs a better trigger. It was 9lb from the factory but after some polishing, spring bending and trimming it went down to 6lb.

I would get occasional light primer strikes on military surplus ammo because of that.

Do you know of any good aftermarket triggers that would work with 5.45 surplus ammo? I was ready to buy a JP adjustable trigger system but figured to ask here first.

Another question: would JP or other reduced power trigger springs work on my gun with a mentioned ammo?

My S&W 5.45 AR needs a better trigger. It was 9lb from the factory but after some polishing, spring bending and trimming it went down to 6lb.

I would get occasional light primer strikes on military surplus ammo because of that.

Do you know of any good aftermarket triggers that would work with 5.45 surplus ammo? I was ready to buy a JP adjustable trigger system but figured to ask here first.

Another question: would JP or other reduced power trigger springs work on my gun with a mentioned ammo?

Your pretty much out of luck as you need a very strong hammer spring to set those primers off. The 5.45 is a poor choice for the game for a lot of reasons. One being most of the bullets are steel core which is not allowed at most matches due to it tearing up steel targets.

Pat

Here is what Ken told me...

had to run the super uber bad ass red spring that came with the S&W upper. not a JP. had a few extra coils than a stock one.

JP trigger with the yellow trigger spring and the bad ass hammer spring is what i was running.

same pull length as a 3.5 trigger, broke clean like that, just had about a 5# pull due to the bad ass hammer spring. not like a oem trigger.

Hopefully this winter I'll have time to set mine up like Ken did.

I had one for practice and couldn't get 100 %. It fed and extracted fine from GI mags but the Orange spring still was not 100%. I had to put a extra power Wolf spring in it but by then the trigger was ridiculously heavy. I did bump the shoulder back on the firing pin for added protrusion and flattened the tip for more surface area. It seemed to help but just wasn't enough. There was a guy on M4Carbine or ARF that was doing 5.45 trigger jobs that were supposed to be reliable for surplus ammo. I think his name was Jackson ?????

DaG

what Jesse posted was true, dropped in a JP adj trigger and tuned it up right nicely, and the yellow springs wouldnt even scratch the primers. backed up to a standard spring, no joy. backed up further to the orange spring that came with it and could finally get reliable ignition, still had the little to no take up of a JP kit, but now had a 5# or so break. Wasnt horrible, but it also wasnt near like any of my other guns with JP innards. But, it never failed to go bang with that combo either.

I did the same thing with my 5.45 rifle. JP adjustable trigger kit with a red overpower hammer spring. Probably about a 4-5 trigger pull, but it's very crisp and clean and it feels a lot lighter than what it registers on a trigger gauge.

Never had a problem with surplus Russian or Bulgarian ammunition.

Erik