Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Considering a 650 or 1050

Compare the cost of caliber conversions and you may decide that a L-N-L with case feeder is more what you want.

I consider the 1050 to be ONLY press Dillon makes that I would buy and feel that I got my money worth's out of. I run three. If you get a Dillon, look at the parts in the caliber conversion set and determine any that are duplicates and you may be able to "piece together" a caliber conversion kit from other kits. I currently run a .223 shell plate and a 9mm conversion kit (minus that shell plate) for .38 Super.

Some find that there is enough manufacturer slop to allow them to load .40S&W using a 9x19 shell plate.

When I needed to load for 3 calibers - .45 ACP, 30-06, .40 S&W - I was solidly in the 650 camp. Fortunately I learned before making my press purchase that the .40 S&W would be replaced by a .45 ACP.

No longer required to load for .40 S&W the 1050 made all the sense in the world for me. With .45 and 30-06 I can use the same shell plate and primer sizes are the same. Changeover between the two calibers is limited to the tool head. All my 30-06 is milsurp with a crimp so the swaging station on the 1050 is a dream come true.

As I have learned that reloading is pretty fun I am now considering loading for the few .38/.357 revolvers I own but if I decide to do that I will probably just get a square deal B and it will be cheaper than gearing up the 1050 and messing with what so far has been a fine running machine.