Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Discharge out of battery

twister

Safest method I've seen from a competitor here is to hold the bottom of the grip with the magazine removed and bring the slide slowly to the rear allowing the loaded round to fall down the magazine well into the strong hand. Only seen one person do that but thought it was a good method. Both hands are clear of the ejection port.

Hand under the mag well is no safer than hand over the ejection port. Think about it. :(

Wide45 is correct.

Less than $0.50 for a cartridge vs. ER visit + drugs + possible physical therapy.

As an RO, I've also stopped trying to catch ejected rounds an ULSC. It annoys some of the shooters. If the corner of my eye catches where the cartridge went, I'll point it out, otherwise I'll tell them that I was looking at the gun to make sure that the chamber was clear.

I've had a round go off when pouring loaded rounds from the loading bench from one bucket to another, doesn't take much to set a round off.

Now you've got me worried about pouring rounds out of the blue Dillon Akro bin into my "to be inspected and boxed" tupperware container. Maybe I should not be cheap and just pick up more bins.

Edited by Skydiver

Ejection ports are sized for spent cases to come out. Loaded rounds usually are too long for clean extraction/ejection. If the bullet hits the leading edge of the ejection port it could dislodge it from the extractor, then it would be anybody's guess as to orientation of the round inside the slide.

1911 ejection ports are generally sized for .45s, no matter the cartridge for which the gun is actually chambered. While long .45 hardball rounds will frequently (depending on the gun, natch) catch in the ejection port, I wouldn't expect a problem with factory loaded .40 which is considerably shorter than .45, thus likewise considerably shorter than the front-to-rear dimensions of the ejection port.

Ejection ports are sized for spent cases to come out. Loaded rounds usually are too long for clean extraction/ejection. If the bullet hits the leading edge of the ejection port it could dislodge it from the extractor, then it would be anybody's guess as to orientation of the round inside the slide.

1911 ejection ports are generally sized for .45s, no matter the cartridge for which the gun is actually chambered. While long .45 hardball rounds will frequently (depending on the gun, natch) catch in the ejection port, I wouldn't expect a problem with factory loaded .40 which is considerably shorter than .45, thus likewise considerably shorter than the front-to-rear dimensions of the ejection port.

Duane, you are correct, but most 40S&W's have longer than needed ejectors. The ejector will try to get the round out of the gun before the slide is back far enough whether it's a long loaded reload or a factory round.

Duane, you are correct, but most 40S&W's have longer than needed ejectors. The ejector will try to get the round out of the gun before the slide is back far enough whether it's a long loaded reload or a factory round.

Actually, the length of the ejector doesn't come into the equation once the nose of the bullet clears the back of the barrel. The distance from the breechface to the front edge of the ejection port is what determines if a long round will hang up or not and that distance doesn't change. The length of the ejector only determines at what point in the slide travel the round starts to exit.