Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sparta IL local club match Saturday August 20th

Hi all,

Just a regular ol' local club match this Saturday August 20th, 2011 at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta Six stages total. Match fee is $15. Sign up starts at 8:30, start shooting by about 9:30 or 10 AM.

The classifier is going to be CM 99-52 Cash 'n' Carry. It is a comstock stage with a little bit of movement and kneeling involved.

I will be out there tomorrow Thursday to help set up. There will be one stage where I am dragging an old coffee table to. Start out with feet propped up on coffee table, gun loaded in drawer, and then......

I will not be surprised if attendance is low this Saturday. A lot of people, including me, will be at the Backstoppers IDPA match at Arnold. I will be SO'ing/scorekeeping Saturday. So I leave the match in the very capable hands of David Bianchini, Ralph Litherland, and Tom Hedgepeth.

Hi all,

Just a regular ol' local club match this Saturday August 20th, 2011 at the World Shooting Complex in Sparta Six stages total. Match fee is $15. Sign up starts at 8:30, start shooting by about 9:30 or 10 AM.

The classifier is going to be CM 99-52 Cash 'n' Carry. It is a comstock stage with a little bit of movement and kneeling involved.

I will be out there tomorrow Thursday to help set up. There will be one stage where I am dragging an old coffee table to. Start out with feet propped up on coffee table, gun loaded in drawer, and then......

I will not be surprised if attendance is low this Saturday. A lot of people, including me, will be at the Backstoppers IDPA match at Arnold. I will be SO'ing/scorekeeping Saturday. So I leave the match in the very capable hands of David Bianchini, Ralph Litherland, and Tom Hedgepeth.

got any diagrams of the courses?

Nope!

Sorry.

You're not going to see written stage briefings (WSB's) with blue prints on them, except for the classifier.

I/we have kinda based that decision, in part, on my experience with having shot the local club matches at PASA Park where Ray H. basically hand writes on a sheet of notebook paper, "hands on X's, shoot 'em as you see 'em"....Y many rounds, comstock...."

As much as I tried to anticipate problems with stage design by putting them together in word, you still can't see things like shoot throughs and possible 180 traps until you actually get out there and start putting up target stands and partitions. And if you get out there and start moving one target around, then you usually end up moving a bunch of other things around.

I'll/we'll see how it goes this time without the "blue printed" WSB's. We can always go back to it next month. AFAIK, no one else in the St.Louis area publishes what the classifier is going to be and what the rest of the stages are going to look like.

As much as I tried to anticipate problems with stage design by putting them together in word, you still can't see things like shoot throughs and possible 180 traps until you actually get out there and start putting up target stands and partitions.

Try Google Sketchup. I've been working up stages for Dexter in sketchup and find that they usually only need minor tweaking on the ground - the stage diagrams are close enough that I can hand a printout to a bunch of volunteers and they can set up a stage that only needs a quick final check. 3D makes a difference!

I need to come up to Sparta sometime. I keep hearing good things about the match and the facility. Maybe next month.

Thanks, Mr. Bean for the advice. When I can get some free time, I will have to try tinkering around with google sketchup.

Since the CAS'ers have their rustic store front facades out there, in a way, it would be nice if I could save to sketchup, what kind of windows, doors, tables, and basically porches I have to work with per each bay. Last month, we incorporated their stage coach mock up into one stage. It was interesting to not only be able to move in the typical left/right, forward/back directions but also to climb up on/in the stage coach and an elevated deck/porch.

The assistant match director, David B., went ahead and put some sort of WSB's together. Whether they have all the pictures or props on them, I don't know. It could be more of a generic, fill in the blank form. blank ______ rounds....blank ______paper, blank_____ poppers.

We'd really like to have you and some others from the Dexter gang at our match. See you next month?

We'd really like to have you and some others from the Dexter gang at our match. See you next month?

I'll talk it up. We've recently picked up several new shooters from Cape and Paducah, and it'd be a short drive for them.

BB