Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

steel challenge box to box

ong45

On outer limits and flying m, as i step into the second box the dot is bouncing like crazy. I realize that it is better to deccelerate a step from the box but the boxes are only a couple of steps apart from each other. I do outer limits in about 5 sec. and flying m in about 4. Do you take the slightly slower travel time to set up better as you step in, or go like hell and wait for the sights to stabilize?

Another subject that is related to this, how do you get faster at calling your shot ? Half the time i am waiting for an audible return from the steel. Should you just have more faith and move on to the next target ? What do you look for as the visual go ahead ? Any drills to help develop this would be appreciated.

James Ong

From Burkett's tapes:

Slow down on the way in so you land ready to shoot WITHOUT having to adjust your stance once in the box.

He makes the car brake analogy, you don't hit the brakes and leave 'em mashed...you let up on the brakes at the end for a smooth stop.

On Hearing the steel...

What We all should do:

Call the shot and move on without waiting for audiovisual confirmation. You pull the trigger when you KNOW you're gonna hit the steel, you accept (trust) that you did everything right and DID hit the steel.

What I do:

Call about 65% of them, wait on the rest.

I have noticed that lately I have been on the next target while "waiting" to hear the steel. This may mean that I'm beginning to trust my shot calls, and then letting the sound confirm it while I'm on the next target.

Either way, I'm getting faster and missing less, so I'm happy and still practicing hard.

SA

My OL strategy is to try and come in to the box on my left leg, and use it as a shock absorber when getting the dot settled on the round plate. Of course I'm a lefty and thus going R-to-L, so swap that if you're a righty.

While working with a somewhat shorter friend, I've noticed that the movement on OL is very dependant on your leg length- tall people can do it in two steps, others take three-- thus you may need to find what works for you.

My strategy has for improving speed between boxes has been to make the weight shifting as smooth as possible, and it takes me

3 steps.  I just kept experimenting until I found a combination of steps that felt smooth to me.  Doesn't work for the people I practice with, and their method doesn't work for me.  

For OL, I've also practiced a lot by substituting white paper targets for the gongs.  For me, it seems like it's all about confidence - I   know where my gun is sighted in for various distances between 7 and 45 yards and I just try to trust what I see. Now if I can get that consistency thing worked out.....   ;-)