Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Traveling to Canada (Niagara Falls) w/ gun

I am a law enforcment officer and will be traveling to Niagara Falls next week. We were debating about driving over to the Canadian side but I know you are not allowed to have handguns in Canada. Is it possible to leave my firearm with border agents or US agents and pick back up later?

Any other recommendations?

Edited by mrwhite1

Free legal advise. Under New York State Law, unless you are a New York LEO and/or have a concealed carry license that is valid in New York State, you will be breaking New York State law by bring the handgun into New York State from Ohio ragardless of whether you are carrying concealed. The Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act would probably not help either. You also cannot leave the guns at Border Patrol/Custom as they are aware of the prohibitive New York Statute.

Michael P. Gottlieb, Esquire

Edited by mikegot38

Free legal advise. Under New York State Law, unless you are a New York LEO and/or have a concealed carry license that is valid in New York State, you will be breaking New York State law by bring the handgun into New York State from Ohio ragardless of whether you are carrying concealed. The Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act would probably not help either.

Been out of the loop a little while but I thought HR218 took care of that issue.

Free legal advise. Under New York State Law, unless you are a New York LEO and/or have a concealed carry license that is valid in New York State, you will be breaking New York State law by bring the handgun into New York State from Ohio ragardless of whether you are carrying concealed. The Federal Firearm Owners Protection Act would probably not help either.

Been out of the loop a little while but I thought HR218 took care of that issue.

New York thinks they are above Federal Law. They just do not get it.

You may try the RCMP information section on firearms and traveling to Canada with firearms.

http://www.rcmp-grc....t/index-eng.htm

There is a lot of information in both English and French.

Firearms Declaration form for Non-residents of Canada: http://www.rcmp-grc....re/pdfs/909.pdf

Edited by kaiserb