Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying Gun Out of State

7b7

I am a resident of California (only to go to school) and I have a CA driver's license and from what I understand I do not want to get another gun while living in CA. But, I am going to be working in Arizona for the summer. So my question is -- Is it legal to buy a handgun while being in Arizona for the summer but still having my CA drivers license and technically still being a resident of CA? I am from AZ and plan on moving back after I finish school in a year, but since I will be in AZ for the summer I was considering looking into getting another handgun while out there. Any advice?

Thanks

The short answer is that it all hinges upon your state of legal residence. If you are a legal resident of Kali then you can't purchase a handgun in AZ. When you flop the Kali DL on the counter the nice man will put the gun away and send you out the door.

Just save up your nickles and then after you graduate and move back to AZ buy yourself several nice graduation presents.

kimel,

I hate to say this, you are incorrect.

7b7,

There are a couple of different scenarios here that you have available to you.

Scenario # 1:

If you are going to be working in Arizona in excess of 90 days, you are required by Arizona DOT to acquire an Arizona driver's license. In AZ (as I'm sure you know), it's great. $25 and 15 minutes and you have your license, and you're good to go to buy. When you return to California, you are not required to file for another driver's license. However, you are required to DROS any new handguns when you cross back over the state. The form is here.

Scenario # 2:

Anyone can buy a firearm from a state that they do not live in. It's a fairly simple process but you cannot posess it until you return to CA. Let's say you're in Arizona and you spot a particular long gun or handgun that you would like to buy. You contact a dealer in CA that will do the transfer. They send a copy of their FFL to the dealer in AZ. The dealer in Arizona will then ship the gun and a copy of his FFL to your dealer in CA. When you return to CA you can file your paperwork. Note though that if it's a handgun, again it must be on the CA-DOJ approved list. If I knew which part of the state you are in, I can probably recommend an accomodating FFL.

My only question is why the statement:

from what I understand I do not want to get another gun while living in CA

You can buy any long gun that you want (that isn't classed an Assault Weapon) and any handgun that is on the CA-DOJ List of approved firearms. Finally, make sure anything that you want to buy with an Arizona driver's license isn't on the DOJ list of Assault Weapons, that you can only bring into the state if you are visiting and a non-resident.

Check into if there are exemptions to residency status with CA-DMV for students. If so, then I would file for an Arizona DL when you return in the summer. While you may reside in CA for school, you often times can (like if you were in the military) retain your home state as your place of residence (i.e. like a parent's or other relative's address where you will send your tax paperwork too and from).

Hope that helps.

Rich

I stand corrected. The two states I have lived in have provisions whereby college students working there for the summer are exempt from the residence reqs. In ID and WA they can even remain exempt through their entire college careers although they then get to pay out of state tuition so virtually none do other than those on full-ride scholarships.

Since he specifically said "handgun" I didn't bother to get into #2.

Thanks for the help guys. Very informative.

So If I go with option #1, and get an Arizona DL, and say I buy a handgun while in AZ and come back to CA and DROS my new handgun, does that new handgun have to be on the CA-DOJ List of approved firearms even if I bought the handgun while being an AZ resident?

Thanks again for the help

The handgun does not have to be on the list. For instance, when I returned to California, I did so with a couple of STI frames that I picked up while out of state. After talking with CA-DOJ on what needed to be done, I filed my paperwork and was good to go.

You shouldn't violate any school residency requirements as you're far from being the only college student that isn't from California.

Glad to be of assistance.

Rich