Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IPSC rules about Revolver

Ray Chonlatid

B) If an IPSC stage start by magazine loaded but empty chamber (condition 2) in pistol.

What about for revolver ? Some friend said non ammunition in the wheel for revolver. But someone said, I can loaded in the wheel.

Thank you for any suggestion to new revolver shooter.

I've had the same thing happen to me in a match in the Czech republic. In C2 situations we had to remove all ammo from the cylinder. In the Netherlands, I can just load it up. Another option to me would seem to place a moonclip (or loose rounds) and leave the top chamber empty?

I hope Vince will share his unlimited knowledge with us ;)

Hi guys,

The correct answer is "Whatever is stated in the written stage briefing". Where a COF requires S/A pistols to be prepared with an empty chamber but with a loaded magazine inserted, there are generally two common options for Revolvers, one of which should be clearly stated in the written stage briefing:

1. Revolvers must be prepared with chambers loaded and with the cylinder fully open (i.e. "swung out"), or

2. Revolvers must be prepared with chambers empty and with the cylinder fully open (i.e. "swung out").

In such courses of fire, I generally prefer Option 1 above, but it doesn't really matter because, in either case, all revolvers start the same way. The key is to ensure that the required revolver condition is clearly stated in the written stage briefing from the very outset, to avoid uncertainty when the first revolver competitor arrives at the stage.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Vince,

Finally some clarity on the matter.

Ray, I didn't shoot those matches. I shot the Czech Nationals 2003. I'll be shooting the EC 2004 in Czech this summer.

Thank you VINCE,

What about this condition when start in the holster ? As well as most revolver when flat on any platform. It could not swung out for right hands shooters.

In fact, all the written stage briefing describe only MAGAZINE for pistol. Never written for revolver. Even in WorldShoot. But ROs always describe by speaking to shooters. So, all same squading will shooting same starting method. What about revolver shooters in next squad of next day in different RO ? Or revolver shooters in pre-match ? This is what I concerned. I think we should have defined answer. Perhaps as next generally assembly in BALI.

Ray,

It's still the same answer: "Whatever is stated in the written stage briefing".

I don't recall all the stage briefings from the last World Shoot, but I cannot imagine that any stage which had a "chamber empty, magazine inserted" gun condition for S/A pistols did not have a specific and corresponding gun condition for revolvers. I also refer you to Rule 3.2.1 which specifically states that "the handgun ready condition" must be included as part of the written stage briefing, and this includes whatever is applicable for revolvers.

In any case, if the revolver starts in the holster, the only two possibilities are loaded or unloaded but, generally speaking, unloaded more closely simulates an "chamber empty, magazine inserted" gun condition for S/A pistols.

Thank you again for value suggestion, VINCE.

I agree with you that unloaded more closely simulates an "chamber empty, magazine inserted" gun condition for S/A pistols.

SPOOK, I am in Thailand. I asked about CZ-Extreme and WX because I participated (Open Division). And if you participated those matches, I will have some question about Revolver shooting procedure in some stages.

Anyhow, I can remember from those match. Desiree Van Noord from your country is a very good Open Lady shooter.

Regret that I can not go to CZ again attend their level4 this year. But hope to see you some day in a great match.