Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking for new powder hopper

For my 550B I hate the hopper it came with,sitting at a press adjusting knobs every time I want to reload

is a drag.....I find myself using me Lee hopper with its discs pretty much all the time

I can drop in a disc,confirm the recipe from my records and rock on......however Lees stuff is limited

by the discs them selves,,,,,if I want 6.2G on a recipe often a disc can give me 5.9 or 6.5 depending on

orifice size.......is there any other hoppers out there that have some sort of number system that I can record

and file for reuse like a disc can but with more precision than a Lee ?

There is a reason Lee's is cheap. It's made of plastic. If you have a quality press why put a cheap component in it?

The Arredondo powder drop slide is made of plastic and it ain't cheap by any means. http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/category.cfm?cid=1005,2023&PID=fc25l4901dqgdu&gid=PD

He! He! He! Just razzing you. :-)

Anyway, I've found that Arredondo powder slide in combination with the micrometer works great with my 650XL. I could have stuck with the Dillon metal one since I didn't load with Vectan, but when I started using Silhouette for some loads, the Arredondo slide turned out to be very useful.

Lee charge bar is junk,so is most of his stuff...but the Autodisc works fine

and its repeatable - The uniquetek looks possible,they should have made that a digital micrometer and

they would have something a reloader could put in his numbers and rock and roll-

Honestly compared to the rest of the world of MFGing bullet reloading is in the stone age

thx guys ill get by

Lee charge bar is junk,so is most of his stuff...but the Autodisc works fine

and its repeatable - The uniquetek looks possible,they should have made that a digital micrometer and

they would have something a reloader could put in his numbers and rock and roll-

Honestly compared to the rest of the world of MFGing bullet reloading is in the stone age

thx guys ill get by

With my Micrometer, I just go through the calibration steps to build up a graph in Excel, and then I just crank the micrometer to the target drop weight and I'm never off by more than 0.03gn. It's the best since I let my roommate use my press and he can just set the dial to his load and crank and go, and I do the same. (I also have the Redding seating die which also has a micrometer, which is also set to the appropriate seating depth depending on my or my roommate's recipe.)

Here's a snapshot of my drop weights graph for .40S&W with Ramshot Competition:

post-10187-0-26329500-1312082946_thumb.p post-10187-0-44711600-1312082959_thumb.p

Edited by Skydiver

Seems to me by appearance alone, that there are plastic parts in the Dillon, too.

Even with spending a "fortune" for the UniTek, you will still be doing the same dialing, you'll just be able to hopfully return to the "same" setting later. For most, we work up a load and place a label on the measure for the cartridge, powder, and charge weight--thus having lots of powder measures. You might consider pricing just the powder charge bar so you can store each one with a label for cartridge, powder, and charge weight.

If you used the Hornady L-N-L powder measure, you could simply store the $10 charge assembly (with a note of cartridge, powder, and charge weight). This is an almost instant swap-out--just press a button, pull out the old charge assembly and slide in the new one.

I have not found that my guns are particularly sensitive to charges not covered by Lee's disks and I have never gotten the ACB to work with two different Pro Auto-Disks. You can always buy extra disc and enlarge the cavity to fine-tune your charge (again, you can label that cavity with the information. You should see my 1050s with the Lee PAD attached. Works though.

For my 550B I hate the hopper it came with,sitting at a press adjusting knobs every time I want to reload

is a drag.....I find myself using me Lee hopper with its discs pretty much all the time

I can drop in a disc,confirm the recipe from my records and rock on......however Lees stuff is limited

by the discs them selves,,,,,if I want 6.2G on a recipe often a disc can give me 5.9 or 6.5 depending on

orifice size.......is there any other hoppers out there that have some sort of number system that I can record

and file for reuse like a disc can but with more precision than a Lee ?

Lee makes a micro disk , but I have not used it .

Also an adjustable disk , I am using it for 21.0 grains of WC846 & .223 . But I read it is not as good at the small charge levels ?

I often use the double disk kit to " fine tune " the charge weight , but do not know if 2 disks will work that well for that small of charge ?

Order another set of 4 disks or a double disk . For a charge you often use , slowly ream the closest disk to what you want until you get it on the money . MARK IT !

The spare disks are not very expensive .

God bless

Wyr