Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HALP! My 930SPX is now a 1/2 single shot

Ok, just got back from a 3 gun match, and my hertofore trusty 930 SPX has let me down.

Here's what happens:

In the beginning, I start out with a round in the chamber, on safe, tube full.

First round goes bang, the SG cycles, the spent shell ejects, the fresh shell is loaded into the chamber and all seems normal.

Upon pulling the trigger the second time, "CLICK", and nothing happens. Immediate action drill clears the unfired round and loads the next one from the tube.

The [third] round goes bang, the SG cycles, the spent shell ejects, the fresh shell is loaded into the chamber and all seems normal.

Upon pulling the trigger the Fourth time, "CLICK", and nothing happens. Immediate action drill clears the unfired round and loads the next one from the tube.

This continues til the end of the stage, every other round not firing, in a clearly repeatable pattern.

Toward the end I was single loading, and while doing this, I realized that when I hand cycled the action, the round fired, but when the round was loaded automatically, when the hammer dropped, it made a click, but did not go off. The "clicks" seem identical to dryfire clicks.

NONE of the recovered live rounds have even the slightest hint of a Firing pin dimple on the primer.

I have video that I will post up later [it's converting now] in case that helps, and my plan is to disassemble it and try to find something broken later tonight, but if anyone has ever heard of or experienced this, please chime in, I have never seen anything like this and I am at a loss.

Is the hammer actually firing when you pull the trigger? I can't tell from your video...

If it isn't, you probably have something wrong with your mag tube/gas ring and its causing the bolt to not be pushed all of the way back...

If it is, your bolt probably isn't closing all of the way, which points to either a bad recoil spring, dirty bolt carrier, dirty rails, or a dirty/faulty extractor...

Also, is your shell carrier on the side of your receiver bolted through the pin holes? If it is, you might have to too tight (been there, done it...)

Edited by midget

Is the hammer actually firing when you pull the trigger? I can't tell from your video...

If it isn't, you probably have something wrong with your mag tube/gas ring and its causing the bolt to not be pushed all of the way back...

If it is, your bolt probably isn't closing all of the way, which points to either a bad recoil spring, dirty bolt carrier, dirty rails, or a dirty/faulty extractor...

Also, is your shell carrier on the side of your receiver bolted through the pin holes? If it is, you might have to too tight (been there, done it...)

Ok, Answers:

The hammer is dropping when I pull the trigger, but the firing pin isn't hitting the primer. Toward the middle of the video I tried a couple of times to pull the bolt back just enough to reset the hammer but not enough to eject the live round. Then, too it just clicked.

I will look at that.

Not disagreeing, but wouldn't the bolt not being in battery prevent the hammer from dropping? Does this gun have that feature? Dirty is a possibility, I typically run it dripping wet so it doesent get filthy like a dry gun would, but there is some crud..

The shellcarrier is velcro-ed on [3-gun gear], no tension or pins used.

Ok, I guess I need to dig up a schematic or a video showing me what things are supposed to look like when I get it apart. Anyone have any suggestions or favorites? [Yeah, I know, google.... but I was hoping not to have to sit through 57 videos that don't end up showing me what I need...

Alright, to pull it apart, take down the gun like you are changing the barrel. Pull your bolt back till it locks the hammer and then slowly let the bolt go forward. Pull the charging handle out of the bolt (just straight out). This will allow you to pull the bolt and carrier out through the barrel hole. I normally drop the trigger assembly out first, but this is not necessary as long as the hammer is locked back (if it is not, something is probably going to fall out of the trigger assembly).

To answer your question, the 930 doesn't have a way stop the hammer from being fired if the bolt isn't all of the way forward. I have had the bolt sit 1/8" from being closed once (error was on my end with not having put everything together correctly).

Alright, to pull it apart, take down the gun like you are changing the barrel. Pull your bolt back till it locks the hammer and then slowly let the bolt go forward. Pull the charging handle out of the bolt (just straight out). This will allow you to pull the bolt and carrier out through the barrel hole. I normally drop the trigger assembly out first, but this is not necessary as long as the hammer is locked back (if it is not, something is probably going to fall out of the trigger assembly).

To answer your question, the 930 doesn't have a way stop the hammer from being fired if the bolt isn't all of the way forward. I have had the bolt sit 1/8" from being closed once (error was on my end with not having put everything together correctly).

sounds a lot like not having the spring in the right place...happened to me

Ok, I got the $%#$ thing apart.

anyone care to characterize how tight the piston is supposed to be? I damn near had to tap mine out with a punch, and I DID have to use a small mallet to reinstall it. The youtube vid I found on disassembly:

it didn't look like his piston is nearly that tight. I oiled the crap out of it and re-assembled, but the tightness has me worried. I can't function fire it until tomorrow...

Edited by barrysuperhawk

Do not oil the piston. It should slip in & out with a little tug. On a wire wheel, take off the ring, clean & put back in.

Ok, er, well, I can take it apart and wipe it off, but could you be a tad more specific on what I need to do? I would hate to bugger something up because I *thought* I knew what I was doing. How does the ring come off, and what am I wirebrushing?