Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Koenig Hammer Install Help

RippSpeed

I've recently acquired a completely stock STI Edge in 40sw. I purchased a few upgrades for it already... I wanted to do/learn to do the hammer install myself... I feel comfortable with doing this, I've done hammer swaps, variant changes, hammer springs, recoil spring, and match trigger installs on my HK USP. The 1911/2011 pistol platform is something I want to learn to install parts on by myself... Unless it requires fitting...

I purchase a Doug Koenig Low Mass Split hammer and would like to install this on my STI... Is there any tips you guys can give me ??? or is there a video on how to do it ??? is it the same way as a 1911 hammer swap where you have to notch the hammer to retain the pin inside it ??? Any help would be greatly appreciated ... Thanx in advance

Edited by RippSpeed

I've never heard of notching the hammer to retain the pin. Remove old hammer, drive out strut pin, install strut and pin in new hammer, install new hammer, test. Now the sear/hammer relationship...now that's a different story. You can find disassembly videos on youtube.

I've never heard of notching the hammer to retain the pin. Remove old hammer, drive out strut pin, install strut and pin in new hammer, install new hammer, test. Now the sear/hammer relationship...now that's a different story. You can find disassembly videos on youtube.

I believe you're referring to 'staking' the hammer pin within the hammer. Some do, some don't; it's essentially fully captive when in service.

And not to be rude, but you don't 'change parts' on a 1911; you fit them. It's a significant, and not just semantic, difference. All HK's were made by HK; 1911's have been made by all sorts of folks all over the globe, and it's not really a 'drop-in' system.

I'd suggest doing a bit of reading with Kuhnhausen or someone similar before making any ignition system modifications; it's astoundingly easy (ask me how I know!) to turn a 1911 into a dangerous and malfunctioning weapon.

Just MHO, of course-

Larry